If you dont give your kids timeouts - Why?

I'm curious why people don't give timeouts. I cant help but to assume they are too lazy when i hear moms say things like "it just doesnt work for my kids!" or "they just get out anyway, so why try!"

I'm curious what moms think.

redderbedder

Asked by redderbedder at 11:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• its not lazyness some kids it really doesnt work for. my mom can put my lil sis in timeout for the whole day but shell get right bakk up and do wutever it was that she was doing that got her in timeout in the first place. thats kindve a biased comment. with my dd, i put her in timeout and she gets up and walks away, however, you shouldnt give up on that, i just pick her up and put her bakk.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It's very ineffective in my household. We just take toys away and make them earn them back-this works well fo us.
    Anonymous

• what do you mean by a Time Out? sitting on a chair, sitting in a corner, sent to their room?
    I did some of things a few times, and rhey calmed the problem righ then, but vnever had any lasting effect. Sometimes all I needed was a 'calm right now' but sometimes I needed an effective discipline- which is wasn't. for my boys. Infact, it was opposite for my youngest. After a couple tiimes I stoped with him.
    For my boys there were more effective forms of discipline-
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• A time out is time away from what they are doing to cool down.
    I do think punishment should fit the crime - if theyre hitting someone with a toy - then take it away. That could be considered a timeout from that toy.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 11:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• stated like that. many things could be considered a Time Out. I thought a Time Out was removing the Child (not the item) to a quiet place where they can sit or whatever, and calm down
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Timeout is not the only discipline method. I do different. But I assume you are talking about those moms who says timeouts don't work, and in result, give no disciplines.
    Anonymous

• Um.. because I spanked my kids and they knew I meant business. No times out were ever needed. Funny, I always thought time outs and counting was laziness... Hmmmmmmmmm..
    Anonymous

• ya, it's SOOOOO much more effort to spank a kid, then to take the TIME, to teach them to correct thier own behaviour without fear of corporal punishment.....
    Anonymous

• spanking doesnt work it just hurts there pride! i take things away from my kids like a fav book or toy and it works for me.
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My husband loved time out. He would get to go sit in the corner and just think. He had a very active imagination and his life was very structured. He would act up so that he could go to time out. My son now will go to time out and when he gets out, I will ask him, "Did you think about why you were there?" and he replies "No, but check this out." Then he will go off forever on this tangent that he thought about while in time out. That is why I don't do time outs. They don't work, he almost sees them as a reward. However, with my daughter, I will definitely try it because each child is different.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2009