I breastfred for 3 weeks my nipples are sore and i can't any longer I substituted with organic similac now my newborn is constipated all the time what can i do to help him

I need to know what would be a good formula for my child after breastfeeding for 3 weeks. He will be a month on Fri. March 20. My baby is sooo constipated I have to give him castor oil in order for him to move his bowels. I am in desperate need of help I tried similac organic but that is not helping i think the iron dosage in all the formulas are too high.

coco615

Asked by coco615 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree, breastmilk is easier to digest and gives less gas and constipation than formula. Formual has a TON of iron in it which will constipate someone anyways.. but being that you switched, baby isn't used to it. You need to be VERY careful with caster oil, that is really dangerous unless it was suggested by a doctor. It can cause severe diarrhea and ultimately dehydration and even death in severe cases. mineral oil is safer, but again you need to be very careful and talk to your doctor first about what you should be doing. Giving ANY oil (other than olive oil) will also stop the absorbtion of nutrients in the bowels. I know because we went through this EXACT same thing, and my son was on a controlled amount of mineral oil for more than a year. Please DO NOT play Dr. Mom.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 12:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• have you gotten in touch with your local LLL?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• breastfeeding again is the best bet, nipples will be sore especially with a bad latch. formula is a lot harder to digest, no matter the brand. If you would be willing to try and continue breastfeeding you should contact a lactation consultant or the local Le Leche League to get help with latching, which is the most common reason for pain. The first 3-6 weeks can be really rough, but it's so worth it!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Breastmilk is the best thing to feed him... especially since he is already used to it.
    Anonymous

• why cant you breast feed anymore? is it just because of your nipples? because they will be sore for a while

my daughter throws formula up she can only digest breastmilk.. probably the best bet is to continue that since he is already used to it.
    unless there are others reasons why you cant
    Anonymous

• My son got very bad constipation and cramping from similac also. He did GREAT on Nestle Good Start Supreme DHA/ARA. My son's ped also recommended using pediatric glycerin suppositories (cut them in half), they sometimes worked. You can get them in any pharmacy over the counter.
    KateKevinAdopt

Answer by KateKevinAdopt at 11:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Can u pump and give him breast milk so he's not plugged up? Poor little one.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• also Ive heard that Organic formula is worse for constipation for some reason.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• it will get better i promise it hurt so bad for the first few weeks then one day you will wake up and it will have stopped. if you use formula you will have less milk, thats what happend to me but not until i want back to work. keep it up you will be fine and your giving your baby the best!
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 12:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I'll add only one thing.

the best formula for your child is the one he will take with no problems. It could take a lot of trial and error.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2009