Will I ever be able to sleep with my husband by ourselves? HELP!

I just recently put my almost 4 year old in bunk beds with his 10 year old brother, in hopes that he would enjoy sharing a room with him instead of mom and dad. But he is still coming in our room and I am still sleeping with him only now it is in his bed instead of mine.

Haze123

Asked by Haze123 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Time to lay down the law and make him stay in bed, Every time he comes in the room take him back to bed without saying a word. I can't believe you let it go that long! 4 years!?
    Anonymous

• You will miss these days in just a few short years when he wants nothing to do with you...
    Anonymous

• Raise them right and they will ALWAYS want something to do with you :)
    Anonymous

• OMG girl, i cant even imagine, yes put him back in his bed, hes old enough to understand "this is mommy and daddys bed, this is yours' you put him back everytime he comes back in. explain to him hes a grown boy and mommys proud that hes growing up to be a little man, make him feel proud and like its an accomplishment to sleeo in his own bed. Or if it still doesnt work, lock your door, lol. just kidding. like i tell others, we have to remember that we are the ones in charge, not them!
    1stmomma07

Answer by 1stmomma07 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I had the same issue with my 3 (1/4) yr. old.
    It will be hard but you need to put him in his bed. If he returns to your bed you need to put him in his bed....BUT DO NOT SAY A WORD TO HIM........Trust me he will think of everything to get into your bed, just stick with it and put him back in HIS bed. It will not happen over nite, but one nite he will sleep though the nite and when he wakes in the morning and he is in his bed......PRAISE him for staying in his bed all nite.
    I hope this helps a little.
    Good luck.........be strong.
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I totally agree with tambam75, however i have a 3 year old and im in the same boat. She was sick for a while and she slept with me so i would feel better knowing she was ok. Now that she is better i can't seem to get her back into her bed. There has been a few times she would fall alseep in her bed and i would priase her in the morning and give her a special treat but that didn't last long. Not sure whatelse to do. I am tired of fighting with her so i just give in and she sleeps wiht me. :( any suggestions?
    frogeyes81

Answer by frogeyes81 at 8:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Well, I believe in the family bed sharing. But, if you want at least some time with your husband, then give your son some rules to meet - like the has to fall asleep in his bed, but when he wakes up he can come into your bed. Or he has to do XXX before he can come in. Personally, I love that kids want to be with their parents, especially at this young age when they're learning the foundations of what makes strong relationships, like sacrificing personal comfort for deeper and stronger attachments. And, like a PP said, raise them right and they'll always want something to do with you.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I had this problem with my daughter (she is 6 now and just started staying in her own bed). I tried taking her back to her bed every time she came in, but to be honest, I just needed the sleep. I finally started closing my door at night, and even locking it for a few nights. I felt so guilty doing it, but it stopped the habit and now my door is open again. Try to talk to him and make sure it isn't nightmares, needing to go to the bathroom, etc. Sometimes a light shining in the room can be enough to make them get up. Talk to him about it and make it a joint effort, so he feels like he is responsible as well. Just don't sleep in his bed with him - it can't be comfortable and I think it teaches them that there is a reason to come and climb in with you. And BTW - I do sometimes miss my daughter snuggled up next to me; but even my oldest (who is almost 12) is still close to me (he was a bed hog too).
    cherlygirlie

Answer by cherlygirlie at 2:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• wow . u need to be very firm . dont speak jus walk him back in his room put him back in his bed and quit givin in to that that is bad bad bad!!!!!!!!! no 4 year old should be sleepin in ur bed when u need to be sleepin with ur hubby!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MizzMarla

Answer by MizzMarla at 9:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Supernanny techniques work the best please give them a try and follow her suggestions to the tee. Good luck
    austin.311

Answer by austin.311 at 12:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2009