• In the Spotlight:

How can I get my son to talk

My son is 27 1/2 mths old he understands everything i tell him which is awesome but when he wants something and i make him ask for it or use words or say something like that he gets upset and frustrated falls to the ground and cries. so i tell him he needs to use his words , or mama cant understand your whining or whatever right , well then he gets up and leaves and either finds something else to get or cries in his room. HE WONT TALK I JUST KNOW HE CAN BUT HE DOESNT WANT TO . I read to him and sing and he dances and everything else but just wont talk. He even points to pics and i say whos that and he smiles and turns his head but I am expected to answer lol. Anywho I finally got an appt. w/ speech therepy w/ him so im waiting but i was curious if anyone has any other ideas into having their kids talk . I know he will do it when hes ready and all that but its so hard

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You may want to read the post from Wassybear. If you have any questions after that then let us know!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:30 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My 2.5 yr old daughter has the same problem. Ask the speach therapist for a sensory evaluation to check his level of speach and understanding. My daughter is in speach therapy and it has done wonders for her. She still mainly talks with me only. You are already doing one thing right. Keep encouraging him. If his understanding level is higher than norm for his age that could be contributing to his speach issues. Something seems to get lost in the translation in their brain. They can take it all in but have trouble getting it to come out right. Goodluck. I hope speach therapy helps him the way it has my daughter.
    mumummum

Answer by mumummum at 4:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• thank you so much !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Mar. 22, 2009