How do I get my 6 year old to be quiet during school?

My 6 yr old Libby has only had recess 3 times this yr because she won't be quiet during class time. The teacher has moved her and she resorts to talking to her crayons!!! I have sent her to bed early made her stand in the corner, not let her play, I'm running out of ideas.

Carry313

Asked by Carry313 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They expect too much of small children in school these days. Its crazy!! Maybe because she doesnt get a break by getting recess is the reason she cant be quiet. If she has no time to play, like a child should be, then how do you expect her to have an outlet for her energy? Schools piss me off so much. Next they will be wanting to put her on drugs so that she is a zombie that just sits there all day so the teacher can take it easy rather than WORKING!!!
    Anonymous

• I agree with anonymous. Making her sit inside instead of burning off energy seems COUNTER-productive to getting her to sit still and quiet during class.
    Maybe the teacher should consider that she's not engaging the children enough?

Granted, I don't know the whole situation, so it's obviously only speculation. You could practice at home with dolls and switch between you and your daughter being a teacher, trying to get the class to be quiet.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 12:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Ask the teacher if there is some way to reward or praise her when she is sitting quietly and listening. If you want a certain behavior to improve, you have to reward that behavior in some way. Either with praise or rewards, depending on what really motivates your child. It doesn't have to be a big thing and it doesn't have to be broadcast to the whole class. The teacher could explain to her that "Everytime that I see you sitting quietly at your desk, I will give you the thumbs up sign. This means that you get to ________.(fill in with what you know is much loved or wanted) Have the teacher really talk up this plan and try to catch your daughter being quiet really frequently at first so that she buys into the idea. It can be something that just the teacher and your daughter would know. Hopefully the teacher will be open to trying this because in the long run, it will make things run alot smoother.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I agree with annonymous. I'm having the same problem with mine. I do not beleive in drugging the kids up. I reward him at the end of the week. On Monday mornings I ask him what he wants to do on Saturday if he's good all week. It's usually free stuff like the park or library or let him pick out a movie. Also most states require that students have so many physical activity hours per week/year and most schools use recess as part of that time. I would check with the school to see if she can be missing so much recess.
    demsky_04

Answer by demsky_04 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2009