Improving credit score post-bankruptcy

Hi - my husband and I recently went through forclosure and bankruptcy (last July). Our credit is terrible (570's- 600). Our combined income is about $100,000 a year, and I am hoping/praying to be able to buy again in about a year or so. Is this possible? Also, every credit card we apply for, we get denied - how in the heck are we supposed to show improvement in our credit scores if no one will approve us for even the smallest credit cards?

jakesmom2233

Asked by jakesmom2233 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• I doubt you'll be able to buy in the next year. A few years, maybe. But the bankrupcy will be on your credit report for 7 years and in the current lending climate, I don't think you'll find a lender.

What to do? First find a secured credit card, get that ONE and stop applying. Every time you apply for a card and are turned down, it's a hit on your credit.
    Once you have a secured card, use it at least once a month, always stay below your limit, and always pay it off fully every month.
    After a year, try to get an unsecured card. Do the same thing - use it every month, never go over your limit, and always pay it off fully every month.

For some other tips, try here:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2076882_recover-from-bankruptcy.html
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Thank you very much.
    jakesmom2233

Answer by jakesmom2233 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Get a secured credit card. Yes, you'll probably be able to purchase a home a year from now. Bankruptcy only improves your credit, I know it doesn't make sense, but it does. Give it a year or two and everyone under the sun will be sending you credit card apts. The problem right now isn't your bankruptcy it's the economy - people with perfect credit are getting denied for credit cards. You'll have new cell phones, cars and a new home in no time at all. My credit score is lower than yours (because of dept in my teens) and I still get credit card apts. And until a few months ago they all went through just fine. Wait for the economy to get a little better and you'll be right back in dept again. (thats a joke!)
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:39 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Thanks, works4mom!!
    jakesmom2233

Answer by jakesmom2233 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 19, 2009