Can anyone share stories about birthfathers who remain involved?

I'm an adoptive mom of two kids, and neither of our birthfathers are involved at all (not by our choice). I'd love to hear about cases where the birthfather is involved in the open adoption. We've been told that our daughter has a sister by her birthfather with a woman other than her birthmother, but we haven't any clue how to locate her.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 11:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Adoption

• Our son's first parents asked us if they could actually move in with us during the adoption process, with a place to go as soon as our son was born. It was a great experience for all of us I think, because now, I can tell my son he holds himself at the piano just like his bio brother, can make an upsidedown frown just like his mom, and he walks like his first dad.

His 1st parents visited a few times after his birth together, then 7 months later, we get a knock on the door from dad. He says they're pregnant again, and had heard we were trying to adopt again, & could they move in again. We talked it over, and a week later, they were there. During that time, the dad bonded with Jacob more, and 1st mom did a very little. After the daughter was born, 3 days after the mom changed her mind left dad. Dad still visits, attended sons 1st B-day, and his family visits. I keep a scrapbook & he put pictures of brothers & sister in
    sizesmith

Answer by sizesmith at 12:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• In my case the birthfather is more involved than the birthmother. I have an open adoption and when ever I see Abe (the birthdad) in my daughter, I have to call him. She looks just like him.
    He has a new GF and I love her to death. They have a baby girl together. He has sent me pictures of his life and presents for my daughter. It is funny because before the adoption I thought he was going to be hard to get to know..and was so wrong..and I love the birthdads mom..she is a beautiful person. I feel lucky to know that we can call eachother when ever we want to.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:56 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Thank you both for sharing your stories. Our adoption agency talked about both birthparents being involved, but we have never met either of our kids' birthfathers (one is unknown and the other did not wish to be located). I've just wondered how common it is. I especially wish we at least had a name for our son's birthfather, so he could do a geneology if he wants someday. I enjoyed reading both of your stories.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:28 AM on Mar. 20, 2009