Pope says no condoms in Africa...

What do you think? I think if we want to reduce the AIDS epidemic over there then it should be ok for them to use condoms.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/03/17/cameroon.pope/index.html

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 11:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is ridiculous. I understand the Catholic view, but think of how the quality of life could be improved over there if they were taught to prevent pregnancy. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• well if hes the pope the catholics dont believe in BC thats y he said that. but i think they should alot of people in africa have aids and its not fair they keep having kids that will just end up dying.
    Anonymous

• I am not Catholic and I disagree with this...

God gave man sex for enjoyment
    I wonder if God meant for women to get pregnant everytime she could?
    Wouldn't she have 30 or so kids?................
    Sperms and eggs can't make a human by themselves, only if combined......
    As long as the two never meet in an effort to prevent pregnancy, I have no moral problem with it..............IMO
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:03 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• A message to the pope...Get off everyones DI@$!! Literally! People are DYING
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:06 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I personally think the whole, "we're against Birth Control" doesn't make sense.
    I'm obviously not Catholic. I don't understand why the Pope has anything to do with Africa.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 12:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I am not Catholic, but I have to give it to the Catholic church for being consistant. They have always been against birth control in any form.

This is not news, but sad to deny condoms when people could protect themselves.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:29 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• "I don't understand why the Pope has anything to do with Africa. "

Africa is a "growth area" for the Church. The African Continent has long been a target for missionaries, too.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• As a Christian, I think the Catholic Pope is a nut with a distorted viewpoint on where the power of God lies on earth (I'll give you a hint, it's not with him)
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 1:29 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Not wearing a condom can mean a death sentace to many.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:23 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• This pope is creepy as hell. I feel for my Catholic friends who have to wrap their brains around this one.

It's not just about having babies with HIV (although that is, of course, a serious problem). Not wearing a condom is also exposing your partner to HIV. Don't assume that everyone is Africa is just having sex with a spouse.
    I think this is the most f*cked up news I've heard all week.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 3:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2009