Are your family vacations stressful or fun?

We just got back from a spring break trip to the Grand Canyon with my family and it was so stressful! The whole time my parents were arguing, my nephews were fighting, my husband was frustrated with me, my kids were sick, it was so expensive, etc. I was reminiscing with my sister of our past family vacations and they were all stressful! We couldn't come up with one where we all got along and just had fun. Everytime my mom and dad turn against each other and it takes away from the fun. My mom is overbearingly controling and tends to ruin the trip for everyone else. If she is ever confronted about this her feelings are hurt and she just pouts and says everyone hates her and we would be better off w/out her. She was constantly telling my SIL how to care for her children which really got on SIL's nerves, she did the same to me too but I am used to it. My husband told me he never wants to go on another family trip again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Travel

• When I was younger they were always stressful, now with my own kids they don't tend to be- when we go with my family. When we go with my inlaws though, whoa watch out. They tell me how to do everything, they talk down to me an dh, they don't make the kids mind or they tell them yes after we have said no. Things like that make it stressful and we can't ever go and do anything with just us,it has to include them or they act like we ruined their whole trip, we went to the beach last year and dh and I decided to take the kids to the little amusement park close by, inlaws wouldn't like it, but they threw a fit because we were going to do something without them, for a couple of hours! So yeah its kinda stressful when we go with them, even a day trip is stressful with them. I guess my side of the faily is just more laid back. Sorry you didn't have a good time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• yup.however we have found cruises work out weel, no deciding when/where you will eat. everthing onthe menu is up for grabs!!! Kids have a blast, seems to help lower the vacation stress level!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Ours have always been fun, but we don't go with extended family....that would make things stressful. It's always just me, my husband, and our kids.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• there both i remeber when me my husband and two daughters went to hawaii it was the worst plaine ride i have ever been on my daughter was literally screaming because hers ears where poping...and then my busy toddler was running down the hotel walkways but it turned out pretty good
    mom2b23869

Answer by mom2b23869 at 9:22 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• When I was a child and we went on family vacations they were always unpleasant and stressful- bickering, boredom. When my children were little we made sure they had activities they could do so they wouldn't be bored, and my husband and I weren't into bickering anyway.

Answer by Bmat at 11:15 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• We leave the BS at home.. when i was younger we always went to disneyland together, or camping, or hunting trips etc.. and we always left what was going on at home.. at home.. and it was really nice.. because when we got back home.. none of the previous BS mattered.. in 2010, we are planning a huge trip... my in laws, my family, my mom, grannie, aunt, uncle and two cousins, and then anyone else that can join us.. we are going on a disney cruise
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2009