weening

I am back to work full time. my daughter is 9 mo and doing well with formula when I am gone. she still wants t6o nurse but only at sleep time or when she wakes up at night. I am still producing good amounts of milk,my breast are starting to hurt, and pumping only helps a little what do I do to help ween her the rest of the way with out it hurting .

ryonnasmom

Asked by ryonnasmom at 12:07 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you want to stop your production take cold cabbage leaves and break the "veins" then put them on your breasts with you bra. do this for a couple days and your milk should go away.sounds like she's pretty much weaned except for at nite. maybe just try to get her off of the nite feedings. That's when my DD likes to nurse too. She takes a bottle during the day and sometimes we have to supplement with formula b/c I don't produce enough.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• you can start pumping and every day pump about 3 min less than before, either way it will hurt you a little, but just think you gave birth, you can do this. As to her waking up at night at 9 months old she should not be doing that. In the evenings get her ready on a schedule for bed, bath, calm story or in a rocking chair, feeding her a big bottle w some cereal in it. so she has enough to keep her thru the night, if she falls asleep before the bottle is empty try to gently tap her, and wake her up so you can feed her more, kind of force her to drink alot, so itll keep her fuller, the first few nights she might whine, you can go in, change her diaper if you want, but dont pick her up or feed her. let her whine herself back to sleep, sometime theill cry or scream cause their used to eating, but dont give in, she wont die and shes not in pain. after a week you should be good to go!
    1stmomma07

Answer by 1stmomma07 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 19, 2009