need help with picking a dog

would need a small dog . for inside 2 bed rooms, living and kitchen is all the room we have any good dogs that you can think of would help thanks

michellesp

Asked by michellesp at 12:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Pets

• longhaired minature dachshund........thats what we have and he's the best dog ever!!!! My one year old pulls on him all day and he doesn't care at all!!!
    Kenzies_mama

Answer by Kenzies_mama at 12:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Well, ours is a Lhasa Apso/Pekingese mix and is vey good with our son and extremely mellow. Just 13 pounds.

I grew up with a toy poodle who was also great with kids.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• -First you need to research the breed you, each breed has their own share of health issues, grooming needs, activity level and so on. You need to make a informed decision or you will pick a dog based on the cuteness factor and not is best for your family. I have two cats romeo 6, and faith 5 long haired manx, and they are sweetest with my 7 month old son, (whom never been really around small babies).

If i got a dog right now i'd pick a japanese chin(small breed), soo beautiful. they are wonderful with children, dogs and cats. Very sweet, loving and was originally used as royal canin companions. cat-like and very smart dogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Chin
    CamsMom82208

Answer by CamsMom82208 at 1:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• ((longhaired minature dachshund........thats what we have and he's the best dog ever!!!! My one year old pulls on him all day and he doesn't care at all!!!))

This is the exception, and not the rule, for this breed. Most breeders will tell you that they don't make good pets for children. Especially if you are going to be having a lot of company. They usually pick one person in the household to be their leader and master, and can be very testy with anyone else who tries to get near that person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• i just got 2 maltipoo x shih tzu's...theyre good small dogs
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Read up on all dog breeds, and select 2 or 3 that you are interested in. Then if you can, go and observe some "in the flesh" so to speak. Look at puppies and grown dogs of the breed. Talk to people who now have or have had the breeds you are considering. Talk to groomers, vets, dog trainers and get their insights on what might be best for your particular home environment. Take into account the different breeds' temperaments, activity level and grooming requirements. Do a lot of research into finding the right dog, and you and the dog will all be happier for it.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:58 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Anon 2:08- That is true but it depends on how they're raised too. They are protective of their owners and are mostly one person dogs. But my mom got one a couple of months ago and he goes to everyone and likes everyone. If it's only one person handling him and being loved on then YA he's going to be fond of that one person. But ours is handled by different people everyday so it's not attached to one person and it's more friendly. Just like other dogs.
    Kenzies_mama

Answer by Kenzies_mama at 9:38 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• We have a yorkie-poo (yorkie and poodle mix) She is 5 months now and has been great with my daughter. We also hve a shih tzu that we have had for 5 yrs. My dd used to strap him in the high chair and spoon feed him and put him in the stroller. we have had no problems with him except he was hard to house break and is a family dog so he doesn't like to be alone. (I leave the tv on when we are not home)
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I have a English bulldog and she is great with my kids she dont shed a lot of hair and listens so well here is some info on them good luck with your new puppy though

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bulldog.htm

tlc-mom

Answer by tlc-mom at 12:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Go to your local shelter and talk to them about what you need. They should have a good idea of an animal they have that would work well. On the plus side 'mutts' have less issues than pure bred dogs plus you know that your dog is 100% original no other dog like it! If you choose to get a shelter dog make sure to have it checked out by a vet the same day just to make sure the health is good.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2009