PART 2 ABOUT SOON-TO-BE STEP SON

I guess the reason this bothers me so bad is because I know he resents me, but I am the one who does everything for him. His dad works 2nd shift so I am the one who makes him supper every night. I am the one who helps him with his homework, makes treats for his class when he needs them, makes sure he brushes his teeth, takes a shower, gets to bed on time, washes his clothes, gets him to practices. I AM HIS MOM now, even though it is a step mom, I think he thinks I want to take his mom's place, even though I have told him before that I will never try to take her place, I am just doing what I think is best for him and I treat him the same way I do my son. I love him just the same, I just wish he felt that way about me. Everyone tells me when he gets older he will, but I wonder sometimes if I will be able to handle all of this for that long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• You are doing a good job and just keep it up. Getting him into family counseling is a great idea too. Giving him love and acceptance will hopefully show him he does not need to be resentful and that families really can blend together and be happy, it just takes time and patience and love.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:24 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• One thing I resented about my step mom was she wanted me to call her "mom" and I was not comfortable with that. She was hurt that I didn't want to call her mom, that only made me dislike her more. I hope that you will allow your SS to call you what he is comfortable with and not try to make him feel bad about it.
    AprilD32

Answer by AprilD32 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I commented on the other post. But I've been in your shoes, trust me, exact same place!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2009