Do you find it difficult to be friends with other Moms and/or Dads with very different parenting views from your own?

I'm not talking about being "friends" on Cafemom , I'm talking about the real world, do you find it difficult?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, I would. My husband and I are pretty strict with our kids and demand good behavior. It would be hard for me to spend a lot of time with a family where the kids are in control. My kids are not perfect, but they are pretty well behaved. I have a low tolerance for disobedience!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It depends on if they're snotty about their parenting views. For example... I know a lady I've tried to be friends with. But she asked to hold my baby once and I was nursing her. She didn't even realize I was nursing. When I told her that the baby was eating she said "Oh my god...you're doing that here? Didn't you know that's what bottles are made for?" Needless to say the friendship did not go anywhere.

If someone can respect me then I can respect them. If they're a jerk about it then yes it is hard to be friends with them
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• yes, i have a friend that is not a very comforting and loving mom i mean she love her child, she just get frustrated easily and i think she dramatizes it a lot of the time, she also goes out a lot and leaves her baby with her mom which i believe in having alone time but its like 3 times a week.. she got wasted 2 weeks after he was born...

i just dont agree with that it takes a lot for me to sit there and watch it and not say anything.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Certainly. All I ask is that the parents punish/reward their children responsibly. That means you don't yell and scream like thats effective communication and you don't give into their tantrums which makes them run all over you. Sadly alot of parents do these things.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:21 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Yes. the only thing I can't stand is irresponsible parents and young moms who play like nothing ever happened and their mom and dad watches baby all the time.Its just to rdiculous too me.
    LainysMommy

Answer by LainysMommy at 12:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• yes and no. I can be friends with parents who choose a different style then I do, as long as they respect my choices and do not try to undermine my authority over my daughter.
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 1:26 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Yes!! My very best friend from high school has a daughter thats about a year and a half younger than my son. She only sees her about 3 days a week, and gives her to her sister for at least one of those nights, ignores her, yells at her and says mean things to her, but then rants about how her daughter is her world! It drives me crazy and has definitely put a wedge in our relationship.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Yes, I find it hard to respect them and impossible to agree with them.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Yes. If I spent time around one group of people, they think my kids are hooligans, and get snotty sometimes to my kids when they do things they don't think kids should be doing. On the other hand, some of my other friends think my kids are never allowed to do anything, and they let them do things that I don't like.
    I've really found that in the real world, it's impossible to have friends once you become a parent. Which is good, at least my focus is mostly on my family. But Thank God for Cafemom!
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 11:38 AM on Mar. 19, 2009