Bush Slip, he wants to show he was an Authoritarian president

So was he? or was it just a slip...Twice in the same interview

Highly concentrated and centralized power structures," in which political power is generated and maintained by a "repressive system that excludes potential challengers" and uses political parties and mass organizations to "mobilize people around the goals of the government";[2]
The following principles: "1) rule of men, not rule of law; 2) rigged elections; 3) all important political decisions made by unelected officials behind closed doors; 4) a bureaucracy operated quite independently of rules, the supervision of elected officials, or concerns of the constituencies they purportedly serve; 5) the informal and unregulated exercise of political power";[2]

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:26 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Leadership that is "self-appointed and even if elected cannot be displaced by citizens' free choice among competitors"
    No guarantee of civil liberties or tolerance for meaningful opposition;[2]
    Weakening of civil society: "No freedom to create a broad range of groups, organizations, and political parties to compete for power or question the decisions of rulers," with instead an "attempt to impose controls on virtually all elements of society";[2] and
    Political stability maintained by "control over and support of the military to provide security to the system and control of society; 2) a pervasive bureaucracy staffed by the regime; 3) control of internal opposition and dissent; 4) creation of allegiance through various means of socialization
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:27 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Link for the interview? Did he say he was Authoritarian?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I'm politically moderate - I don't care what party a person is with, nor do I allow political affiliation influence whether I like them or not. That being said, I was pretty impressed with the excerpts of his recent appearance in Canada.

He refused to bash Obama, saying "I'm not going to spend my time criticizing him. There are plenty of critics in the arena, he deserves my silence."

He also said "I love my country a lot more than I love politics, I think it is essential that he be helped in office."

He said he's planning to write a book that discusses the 12 most difficult decisions he faced in office, which, frankly, I think will be interesting, whether you agree with him or not, to "be in his head" so to speak in regards to these things - I think it would be cool if EVERY former Pres would write about that - lol - I know most do write a book, but it should be a requirement ;-)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:48 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Many people cross authoritative - a good, admirable quality - with authoritarian. So I would venture to say that authoritative was the descriptor Bush was intending. (Obviously this is a common confusion since you knew we would need the expanded definition in order to understand Bush's mistake)

Thank you, though for a comprehensive overview of the signs and symptoms of an authoritarian gov't - I have been feeling increasingly tense about the indications of just such directions in our Federal gov't during the last several weeks. Incredibly, every day brings a new flagrant move - even a parade of violations of the Constitution ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Oh, and YES - he did say the word "authoritarian" - but HERE's the context - it was in ref. to his book, and he was basically saying in regards to why he made the choices he did, he's the authority on the subject.

Frankly, I don't think that's unreasonable to say - I believe we would ALL say that WE, as an individual, would be the best authority on why WE, as the individual in question, would be the best authority on our thought process and why we do / did something.

Here's the quote from the article -

He said it will be fun to write and that "it's going to be (about) the 12 toughest decisions I had to make. I'm going to put people in my place, so when the history of this administration is written at least there's an authoritarian voice saying exactly what happened," Bush said.

I respect everyone's views, but we should at least not try to twist peoples words, just to make them look bad / worse.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• waldorfmom - I agree

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:56 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Good greif can we possibly try to twist up someones words anymore?!? seriously I dont see how he was wrong for saying that in the context that he did so get over it, I have a great amount of respect for Bush always have and always will
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• president bush kept the country safe and free and you need to thank him for your american freedom.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 3:33 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Wow rather twisted.... Waldorfmom, Sailorwifenmom, hautemama83, tyme4me2day

ALL~Very well said. I applaud you (but am on my bb and can't get the sweetpeas loaded)

::insert me applauding y'all here:: :o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:24 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Liberals just cannot stop the Bush-bashing. It helps detract attention from the disappointment they elected into office. Bush has always shown class and dignity as further proven by his refusal to criticize the current administration (they do not extend the same courtesy to him of course!). I find the notion that Bush was "authoritarian" laughable, just as I snicker when I hear libs refer to his admin as the Bush "regime". I would LOVE for one of them to go live in a truly oppressive society and tell us how it compares. I would like to implore those of you who keep spouting off about "lost rights" and "oppression"...what rights of yours were lost during Bush's administration? Was your phone tapped? Was your private property seized? WHAT RIGHTS OF YOURS WERE INFRINGED UPON? I will be waiting breathlessly for your enlightenment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Mar. 19, 2009