Eye problems: Blocked tear duct

How long did it take to clear up a blocked tear duct? My son is still having problems and he is almost 10 months old. Did anyone have to have any procedures done to fix it, or does it eventually clear up on its own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my eldest was nine months old she had a small operation to unblock a blocked tear duct, and it was quick and easy. There weren't even any issues afterwards. I'm not entirely sure as to whether your son's blocked tear duct will clear up on its own; I would definitely recommend talking to someone professional about it, but all I can do is say that my daughter's operation was no hassle at all and it worked just fine. Good luck!
    Zezette

Answer by Zezette at 1:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Thanks! He has a well-baby visit in a couple weeks, so we'll probably talk to the pediatrician about it again. I was expecting it to clear up by now, so I wondering if others had the same problem. Good to know that the procedure is simple if it becomes necessary. I appreciate the info. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• ella is nine months and has had one sicne birth. we went to pedi eye doctor for that issue and cross eye, she offered the procedure but also said we can wait till she is 1 and see if it clears up which is what we are doing. hers mainly flares up when she has been congested, had a cold or allergies.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 8:37 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My daughter and youngest son each had it in one eye from birth. You can wipe it each day with a warm, clean washcloth to see if that helps. For my son it did. For my daughter it didn't and she had the duct surgically opened at 15 months, which was the latest our eye doc likes to wait. It was a simple procedure... in and out in about 3 hours total :-) Good luck!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 11:18 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I meant you can massage it each day with the washcloth. You just gently massage just the corner of the eye, not over the eye itself, for about 1 minute twice a day.

SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 11:20 AM on Mar. 19, 2009