• In the Spotlight:

Do you think it is Appropriate for the United States President to go on a late night talk entertainment show?

Talking about The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Entertainment

• I think Obama thinks of himself as a celebrety which he is NOT!!! and should not act like one. I think he needs to stop trying to "connect" with us little people *sarcasm* and get his head in the game. Whats next the read carpet at the oscars, emmy's, movie premiers????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Hmmmm, I'd really prefer to see him on a news show. I really don't have a problem with the President chilling out in the evenings, having a drink...whatever(providing no disaster is going on), however it feels weird to think of him on Entertainment TV. The President is a man you need to be able to take serious, and I don't think a comedy show is really going to set that precedent.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I agree with munch12502 the President on a political or news talk show would be much different than the president on Jay Leno. And I also agree that the President is a roll that should be taken seriously and going on a entertainment show does not uphold that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• i think it shows hes just a person
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• He's not just a person though, he's the President of The United States, he's my husband's Commander in Chief and I don't think it's appropriate at all. I don't think Jay Leno and his celebrity guests command global respect like we expect from our President.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• "I don't think Jay Leno and his celebrity guests command global respect like we expect from our President. "

it's not a matter of respect, though. It's one of outreach. You've gotta go where the people are. Which gets a bigger audience, Leno or Meet The Press?

How many moms here watch Meet The Press? How many of you watch Leno?

How many watch presidential news conferences?

Heck. One of the most talked about stories from last week came on COMEDY CENTRAL of all places!

Here's the deal: Forget the old media models. it pains me as a journalist to say that, but it's true!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:08 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Anon 3:38, real classy.

He is President of the United States. He opened himself up to criticism when he decided he wanted the job. I will not mollycoddle him any more than I expected people to mollycoddle other Presidents.

I don't care if he goes on The Tonight Show or not. Just another reason for me to not watch that tripe. The value people place on what is going on in the life of celebrities is absurd.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I really don't care. McCain used this medium to try to get votes. We all watch to much damn tv, so why not go on Leno? It is a tool to reach more of the population. I don't really care or mind if he does or does not.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:27 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Anon, be careful about pointing that finger. There are usually 3 more pointing back.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 6:32 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I knew this administration was a joke.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Mar. 19, 2009