Anybody have preeclampsia?

I had preeclampsia with my first baby. I wasn't diagnosed until I was almost 40 weeks anyway. I was induced (with pitocin) the day of my due date. My labor was 5 hours.

Now I am having baby number 2. I've been losing weight and doing really well to control the preeclampsia. The midwife said that this labor could be much longer because I don't have preeclampsia this time.

I'm wondering if anybody has had a similar experience. Labor is supposed to be shorter with the second baby, but is a labor really less painful without the pitocin?

What are your experiences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a baby 9 weeks ago and preeclampsia showed up after my delivery. I didn't know this could happen. Anyway, this is all new to me. I am currently on BP meds and fluid pills. Doctor said it's only temporary. I was given pitocin both times( I have two kids) at the hospital even though I started having contractions on my own at home. The contractions at home before the pitocin hurt like hell. The contractions at the hospital (with pitocin) hurt like hell...Just fewer minutes of agony apart!!!
    actress

Answer by actress at 1:28 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I can't comment on the pre-eclampsia part, but I can share my experience w/ pitocin. I had pitocin with my last 2 deliveries. The first one was miserable b/c my epi didn't work & it was on the long side...16-17hrs. For my 2nd, I also had pitocin. That time the epi worked beautifully. It was much shorter...just under 6 hours.
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 9:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2009