What is it like being a single mother for the first time?

My boyfriend and I are currently not together. I just want to know what it's like doing it without your partner?

Ashleigh_17

Asked by Ashleigh_17 at 1:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• its hard, and you have to put your baby first and you are the only one they have to depend on for everything but i love my dd and i almost couldnt image doing it with someone.

on the upside if you have opposing parenting view(he thinks you should do somthing and you dont) then you dont have to argue about it cuz your a single mom and its all on you and your desicions
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 1:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• oh my goodness!! im a single mom..always have been..i LOOVE it!! theres no arguing, or disagreeing on how to handle certain things, or what school they should go to, or what activites they should be a part of, nobody to tell you how to raise your child! i dunno, i think its pretty awesome!! i mean, yaa id like to find a guy one day..but..in my opinion, its not as hard as people make it out to be..maybe its just cuz i have a good kid..lol..i dunno! but its fine for me!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I agree with both the answers above me: It's hard, and I love it. It's hard b/c everything is on you, but it's also great b/c everything is on you. You get to make all the decisions, no fighting or arguing, no one to say I told you so when your decision turns out not to be the best one. But, then, there's no one to be the bad guy except you, and you can't say I told you so to anyone but yourself when something turns out differently than you expected or hoped. Honestly, it's really not too bad. Just like being together, it has it's own advantages and disadvantages.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• That all depends on who YOU are. I think it's easier if you know who you are and you won't feel pressured by outside influences to be something you're not. It also depends on what you're priorities are - you or your child? If you are your first priority, it's harder because your child is demanding and will need you, and I've seen a lot of single moms resent this because they're so into themselves. However, if your first priority is your child, it's a lot easier to put their needs first and anticipate their needs and make sacrifices in your own life to support your child. This is just my opinion, but I am a single mom and while I love it, I know that my son will have disadvantages growing up by not having a strong attachment to his father - although, considering his father's level of dysfunction, this I consider not so bad. Ultimately, though, I think it depends on who you are and what type of person you are.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Yeah being a single parent was always more easy for me...When I left my 1st husband my 3 girls were little and it was great, I felt "free" sure it was tougher but it was much more fun! alot less stressful when there's not a man around.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2009