whats wrong with my little brother?

I'm concerned for my six year brother, he has no friends in his kindergarten class when we asked him what he does ask school, he says he plays by himself. He is smart but has always been a bit different from other kids ever since he was a baby. my mom helps his class once a week and says he doesn't socialize with other kids, even at our family gatherings he socializes with just my other brother who is a year younger than him, and my dd who is 19 months. He has a quick temper and has never liked to get or give kisses(hes been that why since he was a baby) also he will only eat certain foods, pizza, spaghetti, top ram en, scrambled eggs, fruit juice(minute maid) bread and butter and grapes. he's ahead of his class academically and has always been ahead in that way. I'm just scared that he will be an outcast in his later years when the other kids realize he is this way.....

mzprincessreina

Asked by mzprincessreina at 2:32 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• has he been tested for autism? or aspbergers?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I agree that sound alot like Asperger syndrome. Could also just be his personality, but it can't hurt to look into it if you feel there is more.

Just google Asperger syndrome online......to get a better idea. Also the food thing could be a sensory issue which goes along with those types of disorders. He could have issues with smells, textures etc....

You can google more of that under "sensory processing disorder."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• thanks I will do a search on that
    mzprincessreina

Answer by mzprincessreina at 3:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• This kinda sounds like my nephew. Hes genius level smart but struggles socially. I don;t think he has a lot of friends and though he wants friends, he usually pushes them away by his behavior. Hes immature emotionally as well but is smarter academically than most adults. I have worried a lot about my nephew like you do, but my sil decided to homeschool him next year. I think its wonderful and then she will get him involved in some co-op or church groups that way he is still getting social interaction and learning skills but its not constant and its not forced. Though he seems immune to it, he has feelings too and they are being hurt everyday. It hurts me.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I agree to see about having him evaluated. My oldest is looking at a PDD-NOS diagnosis and I recently found out that he's alone a lot of the time in class when they have "free play". (he's in preschool) It's not that the other kids don't like him or that he doesn't want to be with the other kids...it's that the other kids just don't understand him. He talks about subjects they have no clue and while he sees it as trying to teach them...they just can't get it yet. So...they leave him alone and he hangs out with the teachers.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• yeah,I was leaning towards aspergers too.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2009