At what Age Can I Give my baby gerber and rice cereal

mayralovesmoz

Asked by mayralovesmoz at 3:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4 months
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 3:19 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I did it at 3 or 4 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Four months if formula fed, six months if breastfed.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:56 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Formula or breast fed doesn't matter. You *can* do it when you want to.

General recommendations are 4-6 months, most pediatricians now will say to wait until 6 months...no matter if the baby is receiving formula or breastmilk as their primary source of nutrition.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• OMG PEOPLE! are you still stuck in the 90's on this!!! NEW STUDIES have proven that babies should NOT eat solids NO MATTER WHAT IT IS even cereal before the age of 6 months!!! They're tiny stomachs, and digestive system's CAN NOT HANDLE IT..before the age of 6 months. I'm telling you it is in your baby's best interest to avoid it until 6 months. NOT ONLY does it cause them discomfort..it will cause them to be more likely to develop allergies and asthma in the future. Is seeing them eat really worth they're health?! Because any reason for feeding them before 6 months is for your own satisfaction...it is NOT TRUE that it makes them full longer, ask any Doctor...any good one will tell you, it's an old wives tale. Food is for practice mostly before the age of 6 months, the formula or breast milk is they're main source of nutrition until they are 1.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My pediatrician says not earlier than 4 months, but not later than 6 months.

New research shows that delaying solids past 6 months increases their chance of developing diabetes later on, but introducing solids before 4 months can pose similar risks.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• To latch on the Anon 7:49, all food is practice food until almost one year old. Formula and breastmilk gives babies all the nutrients they need until about 1 year old, except for iron. At about six months even breastmilk does not contain enough iron for babies, that is why they say to start iron fortified cereals at 6 months. But too much iron before six months can cause a baby's body to reduce its ability to efficiently absorb iron, which is why they say to start cereal at six months. They also say to start solids by six months because some babies can actually develop a gag reflex to food the older they get.

Here is a post I read through and then did my own research to confirm or deny what is listed in the below post. Which I was able to confirm her statements. Personally, I think parents are eager to start their infants on solids for themselves, not their babies.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/5887
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2009