not feeding enough?

My son(14months old) has stopped nursing for about a month now and we have him drinking the complete soy which has omega3 dha and fiber and calcium. I feed him lots of pastas, veggies, fruits, and graduate snacks. There's not much else he will eat other then hotdogs. My question is, is he getting enough to eat? He tells me 'more' when he is hungry or thirsty and lately all he has been crying is 'more, more, more, more'...I feed this kid all day long, we go shopping like three times a week now. I am so confused.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:36 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's probably hitting yet another growth spurt. Emphasize the proteins rather than the carbs and he'll stay full longer. He's getting a lot of carbs from what you write.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• try scrambled egg's, tofu if he's a vegetarian if not chicken etc..I agree with the mother above, tuna fish etc..more healthy fat's and proteins.  It's most likely a growth spurt!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It doesn't sound like a very balanced diet. Start giving him what you're eating, in obviously smaller amounts (roughly 1/4 of your serving)

Vegetables and fruits are great, but there aren't that many calories. He needs so many calories just to make up for what he's burning with simple existence, not to mention what he needs to keep up with playing! It's been awhile, but I think it was about 1000 calories a day?

I feel they should have set meal times (with the family if possible) and a couple of snacks throughout the day.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:58 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Makes sure you are giving him protein with every meal and whole grains will help fill him up. Try oatmeal for breakfast. Fiber is good for making you feel fuller longer. I am sure he is going through a little grow spurt so just feed this hungry boy :)
    Anonymous

• My son is 13 1/2 months right now and is eating all day long as well. He eats 3 full meals and snacks all day as well. I don't worry about what I give him for his snacks (as far as them being all carbs) because he eats well balanced meals(protein, veggies). It's normal. I recommend making smoothies with yogurt, milk, and fruit. You can even sneak in some veggies if you want. This is a very healthy and nutritious snack for toddlers. They need all the fruits and veggies you can give them and the milk and yogurt provide some protein.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009