Swearing toddler...

I never swear around my kids, but the other day my 2-year-old son said "What a bitch!" about his older sister. Of course it was initially a bit funny to hear this tiny boy saying that, but the bottom line is, I don't want my children to swear until they're much older than two and know how to use swear words appopriately! What should I do?

AngieCate

Asked by AngieCate at 3:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Thats My Problem.
    My 2 Year Old Says "Shit" About Everything.
    And I Have No Idea How To Get Her To Stop.

Lemme Know When You Figure It Out
    lol
    Cyarasmom

Answer by Cyarasmom at 3:56 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• just ignore it. My nephew swore like a sailor we all ignored it and sometimes casually let him know that that was not a good thing to say and he got over it. Stop letting him around people who influence these words on your children also...harder said then done I know! :) GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• my daughters 14 months and about a month ago she learn "oh shit" and she said it all the time and at the perfect moments too. eventually she just forgot about it and i havnt heard it say it. when ever she said it i would repeat her but by saying a different word like "oh snap" or "ouch" so she would get it out of her head.
    kfast

Answer by kfast at 4:07 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• i agree with just ignoring it my now almost 3 year old went thru a phrase from age 18-24 months calling everyone asshole if they got her mad we ignored it then she stopped she kept saying it as first because everyone was making a big deal out of it
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 5:29 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• my dd starting dropping her cup and saying "oh shit!!" its terrible that she says it but i hold back my laughter and just ignore it.. and hopefully eventually she will forget about it.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 9:28 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I find that giving my daughter alternatives to the swear words helps ALOT! She gets in a heap of trouble when she uses a swear word and then I tell her the "alternative" word that she can say, like shoot, darn and things like that. Not everyone will agree with my methods but atleast I dont have a cursing toddler :) You will have to figure out what works best for you momma, good luck :)
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 10:06 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• In my house, there would be a warning the first time and a stern talking to and after that, they could expect a spanking.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 2:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• When my son was 2 DH swore at a driver who cut me off. After that every time my son heard a car horn honk he would say, "Effin people!". DH got in sooooooo much trouble!!!! As for my son we would tell him no, very firlmly. He eventually caught on and stopped.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I used to work at a daycare and there was this one little boy who's mother had very colourful language, apparently. He had many curse words he'd say. Parent's were telling us that their kid was telling then that so and so taught him this and that. We finally didn't hear any swearing from this boy, that is until another mom came in and said her son learnt how to spell a new word. A$$! My word, his mom apparently started spelling words and he picked it up like that!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• we put soap in my sons mouth. but he knows better. he is almost three. this is after the whole now we dont say that now you go in the corner now you dont get a new toy now you dont get this and that and this and that. soap worked great. one time. thats all it took. and obviously not a lot. just a SMALL amount on my finger tip then dabbed off with a towel and put on his front teeth. just enough for him to taste it.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 3:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2009