when to switch to milk

my daughter is almost 14 months, and i just introduce whole milk to her day with her dinner but she didnt really drink it. the doctors say to pour have formula and half milk in a bottle to get them use to it, and eventually give all milk. she usually drinks a bottle to go to bed, do i just warm the whole milk up and give it to her, will it upset her stomach, im so affraid of that???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Warm milk should not upset her stomach. I have a friend who used to drink warm milk every night to help her fall asleep. I wouldn't think that it should cause any problems.
    Best of luck!
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 5:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• You can change the formula like the dr said.
    But do you daughter a favor and don't put any milk or formula in her bottle at bed time. Just use water.
    It really does cause cavities, she actually could already have them, you can't always see them.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 7:40 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Personally, we just made the switch. But it worked for us. I know others have said they've had better luck with slowly increasing the mixture of formula and milk.

I'd suggest, however, to not put the milk in the bottle so you can get rid of it when she is on milk. Just one less "battle" you'll have to fight....just a thought...

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:46 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• We just switched cold turkey and our doc did fine. I'd just give it to her the same way she's used to having the formula at first. Then you can change from bottle to cup or change the times of day or whatever after she accepts the milk.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• When I switched dd at one year we did it cold turkey. She slowed down a bit on how much such took but caught back up pretty fast. She did the same thing when we switched to a sippy cup. THey just need some time to adjsut to the change.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Go ahead and try giving her a sippy cup with about 2 oz milk and the rest water. Give her sips through out the day to get her use to the taste. I see that the formula/milk combo does upset a lot of tummies. So try small amounts of milk first and maybe just during the day so you don't have to deal with an upset tummy at night if it happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• You could also start with the 2% milk it will be a lot easier on her stomach then little by little start giving her whole milk and see how her stomach reacts to it.
    Anonymous

• I'm switching my DD over right now and she's 10 months.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 2:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009