Can I take the stitches out?

My son is 5, he has 3 stitches on his forehead. They look like blue floss. It's been the recommended five days. Can't I just snip and pull them out? What would they do differently if I took him in to the doctor's office?

pat7879

Asked by pat7879 at 7:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Oh my god anon get a grip.
    Yes, you can take them out all by yourself. I do it for my kids and myself whenever we end up with stiches. Wash your hands and the nail clippers (using nail clippers allows you to get in closer and have more control) snipe one side and slide them out.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 7:36 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I would never risk it myself. He could get an infection if its not done right I'm sure. Why do you want to this yourself..????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I agree with MomShawn70, the only other thing I would suggest is that if it looks like it's not healed enough or might be infected, then you might want to take him in. Otherwise, I can't see why you couldn't do it, unless he's a real squirmer and you're afraid he might move and you'd hurt him.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:40 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I'd wait a couple more days then take them out. There really is no need to go to the Dr. office for simple stitch removal provided it's not too soon or they haven't been left in too long. simply swab the area before and after with alcohol to disinfect, and there really is no great risk of infection, the cut is closed.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Thank you everyone, except anon- I mean really.
    I'll take a closer look at it when he gets up, I might wait until tomorrow morning just to make sure. The cuts looks like it has closed up very well. They gave us antibiotic ointment and he heals pretty quickly.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 7:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• You could do it, but you want to make sure it is healed well. The doc may say 5 days, but every case is different. Also, when you cut the stitch, you must make sure you snip 1 spot and ensure that when you pull the stitch out, it is all there.
    I worked as a MED TECH for the Air Force, and have seen a piece of a stitch be left in a mans shoulder. It can be a problem if not done correctly and can lead to infection.
    Jordanlover05

Answer by Jordanlover05 at 7:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I've taken them out myself. Just wait until the day the doctor said to have them removed. Wash the area well (this will loosen the stitches), clean everything with rubbing alcohol and snip the stitches with scissors. Pull them out with a pair of tweezers. It is very easy to do. Just make sure everyting is clean. Even clean the scissors and tweezers with alcohol.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't do it myself, but that's because I've had a piece of stitch left in before and it wasn't pleasant at all.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:24 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I've taken out my own stitches before using clean manicure scissors. When Hubby found out what I did, he insisted I go to the doctor to have it checked, so I did, but the doctor laughed and said I did a good job. Like others have said, just check to be sure the cut has healed and have your little guy hold very still while you snip. If you have any doubts afterward, you can take him back to the doctor then.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:26 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Yep, I agree. Wait just another day or so and do it. My daughter pulled her own stitches out from wisdom teeth surgery about 3-4 days afterward. Good luck. I am sure it will be fine.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:37 AM on Mar. 19, 2009