when do you move babyinto a bed

My daughteris 16 months old. Not sleeping through the night anymore, is she ready to go to a toddler bed with side rails?

hunnyb16

Asked by hunnyb16 at 8:03 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We moved our toddlers to a bed at 15 months. It's your call...you can do it whenever you want to do it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:25 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• we moved my daughter into her big girl bed at 13 months because she was climbing out of her crib. its really just up to you....
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 9:18 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It is up to you, but for your own sanity I would wait until you think your daughter is about ready to start climbing out of the crib. You don't need to wait for her to do it, but if you can tell that she could if she wanted too. Other wise you'll be dealing with a toddler getting up and out of bed and coming into your bed in the middle of the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Not sleeping throught the night is a BAD time to switch her. When she wakes in the night - which you know she will - she will get out of bed to play or she will wander the house, possibly comng to find you, possilby getting into who knows what.

The AAP recommends keeping a toddler in a crib until 3 or later. Yes, a toddler can get hurt climbing out and falling. They can also get hurt while loose in their room or in the house during the night, fall down stairs, burn down the house, get outside. So don't use "she's climbing" as your excuse.
    Baby proofing is great. But read the packages. Baby proofing items are designed to keep a supervised child safe in the moments it takes you to notice and stop the problem. They are not designed to keep a curious, bored toddler with all night to play safe while you sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• We moved our son into a toddler bed when he was a year and six months. Yes he would get up in the middle of the night and come to our bed but I would get up and put him back in his bed and he would fall back asleep. I had one of those baby monitors with the camara and tv so I would hear him and see him when he woke up. He sleeps throught the night now it just took a little bit of time though.
    DianaT.

Answer by DianaT. at 1:59 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I don't see any reason to do it until there's a reason to do it (baby climbing out, exceeding the weight limits, or you need the crib for new baby). I agree with pp -- wait till you get him sleeping through the night again, at least.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• i moved my son when he started climbing out. if you feel that moving her to a toddler bed might help her sleep better, try it out. it just might work. you wont know till you try =] =] =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 2:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• We did not move our son to a bed until he was 2, then we skipped the toddler bed and got him a twin size race car bed, he loved the bed so much that it was easy. Yes he gets out and plays in his room, but he is now in the habit that he knows to stay in the bed. I like it because when he is ready to get up in the morning he gets up and comes to my room, I do not have to go and get him.
    crode22

Answer by crode22 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2009