• In the Spotlight:

Would you be concerned about the safety of your infant in an infant and young toddler mixed age group? I work in a childcare and they are considering combining infants 6 weeks of age up to 12 months with the young toddlers, 12 months to 24 months. I am on the committee to make the decision. Would you enroll you infant in a childcare that offers this care? What are your feelings about the safety issues involved? I am against the idea, but eveyone else seems to be for it. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As a childcare professional and teacher no i would not, the development is way to broad on that spectrum, plus once they get to the walking stage they are even more curious about the little babies. Safety is a huge concern there any childcare or safety expert could tell you that. the center i worked at had 6 weeks to crawling, then crawling to 18 months, then 18-23 mo, two, three and so on..
    that is also the way our church does it. is space an issue or the reason that they are considering this. i would def not enroll my child in that for two main reasons (as if i didnt ramble enough)
    1) unsafe to due to different motor skills
    2) developmentally it would hinder the older kids since newborns need and demand more attention.
    hope that helps
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 8:34 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I sure would be concerned about "class" size and the number of adults present.

Depending on how many kids there are, that could be a LOT of commotion and the adults might not pay as close attention as they should to the children's needs...changing, drinks, snacks, playing.

I can also see the potential for more "fights" because toddlers and babies don't (as a general rule) share things very well.

Toddlers are learning to throw...babies make easy targets.

Toddlers are learning to jump and kick, too....babies don't move out of the way very quickly.

What are they going to do with the babies? Keep them holed up in playpens?

Sorry...I'd probably walk right out the door. Mostly because I know how my toddlers were with babies. They just didn't understand "gentle" very well.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:37 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I worked at a daycare where they did this as well...although they did it without the parents' knowledge. There was a special baby room for children 6 weeks-crawling and then the toddler room from crawlers-2 years. When I worked there they were in the process of moving a non-crawling 6 month old into the toddler room and several other children that did not meet the requirements for the next level either. All they did was sit there and cry because the rules of the toddler room were that you could no longer "baby" the kids. So even though they moved BABIES in there early, we weren't allowed to treat them any different than the older ones. Needless to say I quit. I think this is wrong and I agree with the other posters. Children in that broad of an age spectrum are at very different stages in their development. One age group would most certainly end up getting neglected. So no I would never send my child there.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:51 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Having both worked in the infant and toddler rooms and with a child in the toddler room currently, I would object to such conditions! At my day care, the rooms are split by about 6 month groups. So infants to almost crawling / 6 months are in nursery 1 and then up to one year are in nursery 2. Then we have wobblers for kids learning to walk and toddlers for the older one year olds. each room has very distict set of toys and equipment. Some of the kids in the toddler room are very rough. I would never want those kids to be around infants who can't even sit up yet much less fight back! I don't even like the idea of having all the babies in the same room b/c the ones that are crawling or walking will climb all over the tiny whos are just lay there on their bellies.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• cont... Also keep in mind that ratios are dependent upon the youngest child in the class. So if you had toddlers and one year olds, you'd still need the 1:4 ratio (or whatever your state requires). So it doesn't make financial sense to do that b/c you'd need more teachers over all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• cont. LIke preivous poster said, there are many differences between the age groups. Also consider that babies feed on demand while toddler feed on a set schedule. Seeing the babies eat would make them jealous and possible upset their routine. Toddler nap typically once a day after lunch. Babies nap as necessary and while they will get used to the noise, may have trouble napping due to the increased noise from the toddlers. Toddlers will need quite to sleep as well and will be distracted by the babies that are awake.

all I can think of for now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Having worked in a couple of day care settings, I think that is a BAD idea. I have seen too many toddlers hit, throw things at, or even bite the younger babies when an adults back is turned for 2 seconds. It is too much of a risk. The non walking infants and younger babies need to be in a separate area from the other rugrats that are older. JMHO...
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:47 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I think it depends on kid to teacher ratio. My dd's daycare is like this. But, there's two teachers and the most they'll take is 7 kids. So it's not too bad. When my daughter started there she just learned to crawl and there's an 18 month old that would always pick on her. She would come home with red marks all over her. Now that she's bigger and about to walk she has learned to fight back. But the teachers are really good in there and since there's not many kids they usually control it.
    Kenzies_mama

Answer by Kenzies_mama at 9:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• This is exactly why I'm a SAHM... Why would you want you baby, toddler, child subjected to an of this? It's a kennel for kids. Sorry JMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• No I would not enroll my child in this situation. He is 5 mo and his nieces and nephew are 1.5 and 1.25 years and we always have to be hypervigilant when they are around my DS b/c they are so curious and want to play/love him but don't know how to be gentle yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2009