How do I go about finding fun, free stuff for my one year old to do?

I've tried looking up library events and stuff, but he is extremely active, and just sooooo not interested in what they're doing for "baby storytime". he'd rather run through the stacks and pull books down, so i spend all of storytime either chasing him around to bring him back, kicking and squirming, or detangling his fingers from some sweet little girl's hair. The park is fun for a short while, until he realizes there's mulch or rocks or sand or ANYthing on the ground, then it's just a constant chase, fighting him for little objects he picks up. I've taken him to play with my neices (they're 2), which he seems to enjoy, but it's just so hard chasing around after him as he gets into all kinds of contraband around the house. (Since those girls are 2 already, a number of 2 year old friendly things are easily accessible to someone not quite big enough yet.) Help! We wanna play!!

swagger

Asked by swagger at 8:26 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is hard when they are that age and just discovering all the things they can get into, huh? I remember when my son was that age. Boy oh boy... :) Try finding some groups here maybe of mom is your area and see if you can hook up with some moms with active boys. Maybe even post something on Craigslist in your area for moms with active little boys to meet up at the park or playplace in the mall? Good luck!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:56 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• try grandparents.com while it's geared towards grandparents, it does home some fun, free/inexpensive ways to have fun with children of all ages.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Start teaching him some simple gymnastics. He needs to burn some energy. Perhaps make him walk with you for a bit before heading to the play ground. Sort of like a dog--exercise him first before he gets to play:-) I would also start to teach him to sit still and listen to a short book or even just look at a picture book with you. AND again, exercise him BEFORE you go to the library--even if that means making him walk with you around the block or some place--like the mall. The key is to wear him out some before he goes to an activity:-)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• ALSO--get some good books on raising boys. Dr. James Dobson has a book called :Bringing Up Boys. The library may have it--also--just for your own self on raising a boy, I suggest "The Green Beret In You." It is not written as a parenting book--but I feel EVERY mom of a son should read it. We feminize our little guys way toooooo much:-) In fact, that may be what I give at baby showers of mom's expecting boys:-)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• go get a zoo membership! Its the best thing we have done.. And will pay for its self in one month during the summer.. is there a bounce place in your area (jumpin joeys, bounce USA, ect) he may still be to young to climb on everything but there should be atleaste 1 thing there he can do by himself.. Do you have a city near you (houston, dallas, chicago) do a google search for "kids directory" --like we have a houston kids directory that has new things every month for kids.
    also go to your cities parks & recreation website or visit there office for whats going on around town for your kids age. they may have mommy & me classes that are F*R*E*E-- i never knew every tuesday our P&R teach dancing, yoga, spanish & more!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 19, 2009