How can I get my son to eat his fruit?

My son loves food, and I normally don't have a problem with him eating. However, recently he has not wanted to eat fruit. He loves his veggies, and I have no problem getting him to eat those. He is going on a year old, so he is really self feeding, and is really good about it. If I try to spoon feed him fruit, he just refuses it or spits it out. And, I can only hide the fruit in so many foods. Why is he doing this? Did anyone else have this problem? Any help would be great! Thanks!!

Danda08

Asked by Danda08 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He doesn't need fruit. There are plenty of nutrients, including vitamin C, in vegetables, especially if he'll eat tomatoes, which are actually a fruit. Would he eat applesauce? You could mix that in with cereal, but I wouldn't worry about fruit.

Answer by Bmat at 8:40 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Just offer him fruit every day and eventually he'll eat them. Look at what vegetables he likes best and offer fruits that have similar textures or tastes. Does he like sweet foods that are crunchy like carrots? Then he will probably like apples. Does he like cucumbers? Then he might also like grapes which are also juicy and mild in flavor. Also, maybe you just haven't found fruits that he likes yet. I've introduced my daughter to all sorts of fruits and she loves fruits that I hate like blueberries, rasberries, and nectorines.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My suggestion is don't make him. It's most likily just a phase. In a few months, it'll be veggies he won't eat then mean then bread. His tastes will changes as he grows as well. If you are concerned about nutrition, off some fuit juice or some cereal bars.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Mar. 19, 2009