Is it ok to have regular coffee when breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, but limit it. One cup will not affect your baby, but two or more will make him jittery and have trouble sleeping. When breastfeeding both of my children, I limited my caffeine intake to two beverages a day...coffee in the morning and a coke and lunch. I never drank a second caffeinated beverage until the first one would be completely out of my system. You definitely shouldn't drink any caffeine in the evening because it'll cause your baby to have trouble sleeping at night.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Yes, but if you notice it having an effect on your child, then stop.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:27 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I drank a lot of coffee when I was breast feeding with no noticeable effects on baby. See how it goes.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• PLEASE don't have more than one cup - I laugh as I write this because I remember what happened when I did this with my boy as a newborn. He was about 2 weeks old and I had been having 1 cup every a.m. Well, that particular day I thought, "One cup has been fine - I might as well try two!!" BAD IDEA!!! My poor boy who was never awake for more than a few hours at a time was wide-eyed and alert for 6 hours straight! His eyes literally looked like he was startled for 6 hours. I am 38 weeks with my second child and will never do that again!!
    jakesmom2233

Answer by jakesmom2233 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2009