• In the Spotlight:

Disability question

How long does it take from the time you win your appeal until you receive benefits? I had a hearing last Friday and the judge granted me disability. I did not have an attorney, so I'm not sure how to find out. Will I receive checks starting in April? I called the SSA but they said it was in the process of being worked on and couldn't tell me anything else at the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• From the people who I know who have gotten it they had a check with in weeks. Tops the following month. They usually got one lump sum check from the time they started the process to current then the following month they got the normal check.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Congratz on winning your disability case. I know many people who are disabled trying to get benefits they deserve and some benefits to help with their disabled children who have gone years without winning or even setting foot in a court house. The system is screwed up, you are very lucky. Don't forget to say a quick prayer of thanks.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:19 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Thanks Mom. I know I'm very lucky to win on my first appeal, without a lawyer. I am 90% deaf and my hearing impairment is getting worse. Last year when I applied, I was at 80% and was denied. This year I went to the appeal with new test results and without a lawyer and the judge took all of five minutes to make a decision. I think there are many people out there who get ssi/disability for illnesses or injuries that are not as bad as thier doctors and lawyers make them out to be. This ruins it for those of us who are truly disabled. I wish I could hear like a normal person, but I can't. And I did work for many many years and paid my taxes, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I know what you mean. At the supermarket where I shop there are 3 or 4 baggers who are "slow" they are so nice and helpful, I just love them. They work so hard, they are always on time and great with my girls. I know they collect disability and I'm glad they do - don't get me wrong, they need it. But I think to myself these people get up every morning, happily come to work and enjoy it - and they're baggers! A job where most people would think the was below them, but these guys are at work everyday with a great attitude. And then there are people who are just lazy, collect ssi/disability and brag about it. I knew a woman who had ADHD and bragged that she got one over on the government - someone reported her and nothing happened, it was "hear say".
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2009