A mother desperate for advice!!

My daughter Madison is very upset. She is 7 years old and in the last month 2 of her friends have passed away. Her friend Hailey Dacus was in a car accident she was 7 and her friend Hannah Park past away Tuesday from brain cancer she was 6. I had a hard time explaining Hailey but now Hannah. I am so scared that this is going to change her... What do i do ? What do i say? OMGosh. Please help..
i posted this as a journal on my page, but i just am so lost and sad for these girls family and have no idea what to say, They were both very unexpected deaths and i am so confused.

brees3

Asked by brees3 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am so sorry for the chlldren's families and friends and that your daughter and your family are having this very bad time. I'd turn to my religious adviser in this case. They should have training in how to talk to children about death. I can't imagine how your daughter or even you will get through this without counseling. Sit and hug her and quietly answer her questions as best as you can, but mainly hug her. Be very careful when driving so she doesn't get startled and can see that not all car trips are bad. She may also start being preoccupied with her own health or the health of loved ones or even other school mates (Johnny missed school today because he was sick, is he going to die?) Check in the library or online for articles and books on how to talk to young children about death.

Answer by Bmat at 9:41 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• That is so sad. I would consider conseling for her. When I was 12 I had a friend die from cancer. I didn't really understand, I just remember I was really sad for a long time. I would just make sure you or a someone else talks to her daily to make sure she's okay. The school counselor should be able to talk to her.
    Kenzies_mama

Answer by Kenzies_mama at 9:30 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Oh my, I am so sorry, that is terrible. Your poor little girl must be very confused and sad. I would personally recommend getting her into counseling. There are great counselors out there that can help young children work through their loss and grief in a healthy way and help them to understand what happened in a way we as parents simply don't have the "training" for, if you know what I mean... Best of luck to you and your sweet little girl. This has to be so hard for you all..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:30 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• She will NOT get into a car, she refuses, Hailey is in the paper daily beacuse of the accident and the charges filed against her mother. Every wheere we go someone is talking about it. I just want to move and get her away. Counceling is a great idea, i will try. Thank you
    brees3

Answer by brees3 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2009