Could adding solids to a diet of 6.5 month old cause worse sleeping habits and cause gassiness?

My baby girl is exclusively breastfed. Up until last week she's been waking up once or twice at night to eat with exception of teething time. She's been eating rice cereal once a day in the evening since 4.5 months. 2 weeks ago my husband gave her banana and she ate it, then after few days I gave it ti her and she didn't seem that interested and got constipated. So I stopped. This week I gave her sweet potato, which she loved, but then didn't want to eat the cereal in the evening and kept waking up at night a lot, I heard her farting. She seems to be more wakeful than at teething time, when I gave her Oragel. Should I stop giving her the vegetable, or is this normal? Could this be a growth spurt or just a fluke with bad sleep? I also gave her natural baby drops for gas, but didn't seem to work long term.

katy1980

Asked by katy1980 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say that the rice is more of a problem. It constipated my dd real bad. Maybe try something bland like avocado which my dd loves. Unless she has a sensitivity to something that urgiving her. I would try the veges and maybe stop the rice and see if it helps.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:02 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I would suggest you just try different foods. Feeding solids at night or before bed doesn't mean she's sleep through the night. They do say to introduce solids one at a time over several days to check for allergies. They also recommend introducing veggies first as some kids can get a preference for the sweeter tasting fruit and then you can have difficulty getting them to eat the veggies.
    I would think the one thing I would be concerned about as far as bananas go is not feeding an infant too much because too much potassium can be harmful.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2009