To the waitresses!!

Any good tips on getting better tips? I'm making decent tips right now, but I want to try to step it up. I work at a family owned chinese restaurant.. and it's really not that busy most of the time.. so I need my tips to be larger to compensate.

MandyOs

Asked by MandyOs at 10:32 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• Smile, pay extra a ttention to small children and elderly. Make sure you are paying each and every customer "extra" attention. When you are at that table they are you're only table - make them all feel special.

I know that's hard! But it pays! literally!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:35 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I'm not a waitress but I have encountered many. Those that we tip the highest smile and behave as though it is a pleasure to be taking care of us. She checks in after serving the food to make sure we have everything we asked for or need. She checks in later on to see if we need something more. She keeps our water glasses or coffee cups full. She doesn't interrupt us more than that, because it could seem as though she were trying to rush us out. She removes empty dishes so we don't have to have them sitting there, but she doesn't ask if we are done when we are still eating. There is a considerable art to being a waitress. We had one at a Chinese restaurant who hovered near our table. She may have felt that she was being attentive, but we found it uncomfortable. Mainly we like someone who acts as if they like us and like helping us. :)

Answer by Bmat at 10:40 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I am not a waitress but I am a good tipper when it's a good server. My key things are that I never want my drink to be empty, my husband is the same way. When we go somewhere, I almost always have to ask for a refill when they keep walking by and never ask me. I don't want to ask, just keep it filled or ask me before it gets low. Be nice to my toddler. If the person sticks something like a full drink, hot plate or a knife in front of them or within their reach, we are going to have a problem with this person. It's common sense. I have a lot of younger waitresses actually roll their eyes at us when they see they have a table with a toddler. I do clean up after him and I don't make special requests so please, be nice to the kids. If they keep our drinks filled and they are polite and careful about our toddler, then we usually tip big. We have left a $15 tip for a $20 bill before.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:40 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I'm not a waitress, but I feel for you. I couldn't do that job, I'd end up smacking someone on the head with my tray - I don't know how you ladies do it.
    I know my parents actually use the tip calculators on their cell phones! I have 2 small kids which make a big mess, we don't go out much but when we do I tip a minimum of $15.00, if it's dinner, usually around $20.00 or more for a tip. I feel it's the least I can do considering the mess my kids make (I try to keep up with it, but it's impossible when you're not at home) and the fact that I don't hear well so they usually have to repeat things, and I know many times waitresses have to tip out which seems unfair. Sorry I can't give you any "tips" but thanks for doing the job you do. At least once and a while I don't have to pickup the kitchen!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:46 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I was a waitress and I made the most working at an upscale wine bar. If you have been a waitress for a while look for a nicer place to wait tables, larger checks = bigger tips.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I have worked in up scale steakhouse for 9 years. I have found a few tricks that helped.

remembering the regulars: their name or orders

perdicting their needs: for example if you serve rice, then they ask for soy( Before they can ask, say "i will be right back with your soy")
    same goes for a drink, if it is low say "I will be right back with another", before they ask!

yes, smile and look like you truely love your job!!!
    But like the last post, the higher the bill, the higher the tip. So sell more or find a pricer resturant, if you can :)
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• BE FOR REAL!! i worked in that industry for 10 yrs (had to leave because i got pregnant with my son and miss it like crazy). but i found that if you are yourself and not this fake annoying server- you will do better and make more money! also- if there are kids in any of the parties that come in, make sure you are personable with them as well! kids love the attention!! and talk to them. dont just take their order and walk away, really talk to them! also if possible, if you have been there long enough, if you are able to memorize their orders without writing anything down- thats the money shot right there! good luck to you!
    prego_deigo

Answer by prego_deigo at 6:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Thanks everyone!
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 9:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2009