too much?

For my son's 1st birthday party we bought him a bounce house, were renting a clown and a minature pony for rides. My mil said she thunks were taking things too far with it. I think that the 1st birthday party is an important one, and if were not going to get ourselves into a financial mess, then why not get all that? What do you gals think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's totally up to you what you guys want to do for his first birthday. I'm not that type that would do that much, but I think it's awesome that you are that type. Don't let your mil scare you. It seems like grandparents always panic when they think you're spoiling your kids, like it's their job not yours or something.

Have fun, it sounds like a blast!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• If you can afford it, go for it!! Tha sounds like a lot of fun!
    picot08

Answer by picot08 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I completely agree with u! It only happens once and its for the memories. I've even considered disney land for our dd b/c my dh and I love it so much. Do what u want and what will make fun memories and have fun with it!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't do it myself because I doubt that my son would even remember. But it would make for some cute pictures and memories for you, that's for sure. If you can afford it, do whatever you want. It's not up to them, it's up to you.
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 11:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Well I wanted to have stuff my son could enjoy, but the other kids could enjoy too, because we have a rather large family, and alot of friends coming, with kids of all ages.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It's up to you, but what's the point? *you* are the one who will remember it so you are doing it for yourself. I had family over for my dd's 1st b-day and we had cup cakes and gifts. nothing fancy. I would rather save the money for college or buy clothing, food and diapers.
    Anonymous

• Personally, it would be too much for us whether we could afford it or not. It seems it would be rather overwhelming to a 1 year old. Some smaller kids can be terrified of clowns with all the makeup and I wouldn't put my 1 year old on a pony or in a bounce house.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I think that it's a bit over the top for something he won't be able to remember... It sounds more fun for at least a 2 or 3 year party where he can actually partcipate. I think it will take the attention off of him and put it more on your "show".
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009