My 10 year old daughter recently started her period. While I know this is common these days, it really freaked me out. Should I be worried about this, or am I overreacting?

My daughter is ten, but she will be eleven in May. She has always been an early developer, and she has developed "some" breasts and already has pubic hair. This is making her self-conscious around her friends and she already has low self-esteem. Should I be worried about this?

huffmanall4

Asked by huffmanall4 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• You should be more worried about her low self esteem then her starting her period. You should explain to her that all girls develop at different rates and that she should be proud of what she has been given but to not flaunt it. But as for her starting her period you might want to discuss the birds and the bees. Good luck!
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:37 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Many girls are starting their periods around that age now. I haven't really read up on it although, I should since my oldest just turned 10. I believe some are saying it has to do with the hormones in the food and such. It's not a big deal. Just help her understand proper hygiene during that time of the month and don't let her see you freaking out. It may make her think somethings wrong.
    nowhinning

Answer by nowhinning at 11:37 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• i would worry about her feeling odd , depressed, or having a low self esteem. I think you should show her how to be confident and protect herself from accidents. She might be a little worried about bleeding through her clothing. I would also show tell her and assure her that this is normal for young ladies her age ! hope i helped
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 11:46 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't be that worried.. it's hard when you are among the first! It is normal she is stressed - I think you have to acknowledge that and reassure her. It has always been uncomfortable for anyone who is among the first to have their period, but in a couple of month or years, they all have it and are in the same boat (and the boys will continue to be obnoxious about it!).

I'd start looking some nice young lingerie - they have some very modern stuff, and likely some of her friends will be more jealous than mean about it. Tell her to hold her head up and be a proud young woman.

As for the rest... stop freaking out now. The roller coaster ride is just beginning...
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 11:50 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Why would you be worried, it's common, I was only 11 when I started. And my mom prepped me from a very young age for it, she lied to me and told me it was a beautiful wonderful thing, and that meant I was turning from a girl into a woman. So when I started my period I was happy, well as soon as the cramping set it, I realized she lied to me lol. It all depends on how you react to it. Dont' freak out, she will know it, and you freaking out will make her feel like a freak, so LIE LIE LIE to her :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:52 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• ya i have 2 older daughters and a 9yr old.get her some pads that arent so bulky.tell her that wait till they are all around 12 or 13 they will catch up and sitting around talking about it.my daughters were both 12 and im sure this one will be also. i keep watching for signs because they do mature faster now.well now we all know it isnt a beautiful wonderful thing.its kind of like childbirth its the best experience.they dont tell you the actual pain you will go through..oh well its all good.
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I started my period just after my 9th birthday. I had a full B cup by the end of my 4th grade year... I was very proud of my new found body. As for your daughter I would say she's right on time. But that you need to explain that it's normal and she shouldn't be so self concious...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• You need to worry more about her lack of selfesteem than her having her period. It is normal for a girl her age to get her period. Get her the thin pads, no one will know she is wearing one. Stop freaking out about something that is normal. You're freaking out is probably adding to her feelings, so stop. She doesn't have to tell anyone at school that she has her period.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Worried about the period, no... but the hormonal shift could be contributing to the way she is feeling. I wouldn't worry about the period itself, though. I'm sure there have to be other girls with their periods by now at her school, b/c it's young, but not super, unheard of young. I'd talk to her doctor about that b/c it sounds like she could maybe benefit from some counseling to get her through these tumultuous years.

I started a month after turning 11 (23 years ago lol), so I was just a few months older than what your daughter is!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 1:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Over reacting. The more you make an issue out of it, the more self conscience she'll be.
    annjordan

Answer by annjordan at 1:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2009