I'm just starting out, is the Nikon D40 a good choice?

I'm moving up from an Olympus Stylus. I take pictures of my kids, night shots, holiday stuff, outside stuff,
soccer stuff. Lots of stuff. I need to make sure I'm making the right choice in camera. It has hundreds of great reviews. It feels good in my hands. My husband wants me to make sure it will work for me. He says I could upgrade but I don't know if I want to spend anymore. Is it really worth it? Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• If you want to blow up your pics to 8x10 or larger, the D40 probably isn't the right choice. Not enough MP to handle the enlargements. Also, be sure to NOT choose the D40X or any of the Nikon DLSR "X" models. The lenses are not interchangable.... so if you choose to upgrade your camera in the future, you'll also have to buy new lenses. HUGE expense there.

G'luck (I have the D80, btw)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• very good choice it has no lag between pressing the button and the shutter going. for a beginner it is great I would suggest buying it from a camra store they are more knowlegdeable and will make sure you have everything you need but you should also go to the nikon site. if you plan on blowing your pictures up really big you might want to go with the d60 it have more mega pixiles or if you plan on croping and blowing up the pics but even if you don't more mega pixiles never hurt
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 1:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I got a D40 a little over a year ago and I love it. I moved up from a little canon point and shoot digital and I've really enjoyed figuring out how to take some really fun pictures. I got the package deal that came with the 18-55mm lens and the (I think) 35-200 mm lens, and I would highly recommend that. Those are good starter lenses. I just bought another lens - a 50mm 1.8 that I'm enjoying now too (it's great for portrait shots and I'm looking forward to using it for my little one coming in May!). The continuous shutter is great too for action shots of kids (the 200mm zoom and continuous shutter together would be great for soccer!). I'm hoping to move up to a D80 or comparable sometime in the future, but for the first few years of learning I think the D40 is definitely a safe and wise investment.
    busyizzybsmom

Answer by busyizzybsmom at 8:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It's a great choice. 6.1 mega pixels is more than enough to print an 8x10! I have the D50 and it has the same amount of mega pixles. I've printed 8x10's, 11x14's and one that was a few inches shy of poster size, they all came out wonderfully.
    I think it'll be fine for you. Especially if you're new to working with manual settings and such. I adore my D50 and have not had any issues with it in the 3 years I've had it. I think very soon though I'll be looking into upgrading.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I have the D60 and I love it! It is my first dslr and it is easy to start with the basics.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2009