Is it ok for a 3month old to sit?

Ofcourse not on his own:)
When ever I get tired of holding him i kinda sit him on my leg while supporting his back with my arm, and my hubby always yells at me saying its not goot fom him!!!
He says he's back is not strong enough to sit... Is that true??
I know probably sounds silly, but I'm a first time mom and worry about everything!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's fine. As long as he is supported. It's kind of like tummy time. It works to help build their muscles. Just don't let his head sag too much.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I think as long as you are supporting him he is fine. I wouldn't do it for extended periods of time though, that could be too much stress on his back.
    mama-in-love

Answer by mama-in-love at 11:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Well it does help him to develop those back muscles and learn head control. Just don't do it for too long. And if his head is flopping all over-I wouldn't do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Lol, Yes it is ok, Just make sure you are supporting where he needs supporting, His back WILL NEVER BE STRONG ENOUGH if he is laying in your arms all the time, I started sitting my little pooh in the creases of the couch and letting her rest, eventually they start trying to sit them self up, You have to help them get to the point where they can do things on there own, They don't just all of a sudden have the strength to do it alone. Its like any part of the body, you have to work it out to make it stronger. Just remember they can't sit up alone so use your motherly intuition on what is ok and what is not.
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• For short periods of time is probably fine as long as his back and head are supported. Here is something I found that might be of interest and also help. http://health.howstuffworks.com/understanding-newborn-characteristics-and-development-ga5.htm
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• i did that too and he is now 4 months and already sitting on his own. its fine it will not do a thing and it actually buiulds muscle and strenghthens when you help him like that.
    beachbabewdj08

Answer by beachbabewdj08 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2009