What works? Share your NON-MED success for ADHD kids.

Ki has SID/Dyspraxia & ADHD. We found a diet that works well. Very well. It was a LOT of work the first couple years, but well worth it.

I made two blog entries. here's one:
http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1424194/ADHD_SID_Diet_Therapy_PART_2

one is of foods he can/could have and one of foods he can't/couldn't have for a while.

We also use behavior modification and occupational therapy 9for the SID- but it helps the ADHD, alot, too)

What NON-MED things have worked for your kids with ADD/HD?

Kiter

Asked by Kiter at 12:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sleep is so important....My son has ADHD & we struggle with this. He wants to stay up late every night. I have to tell him over & over to get to bed. The more sleep he gets the better off he is.

Anonymous

• So true! my boys have trouble sleeping. I give them Meletonin to help them sleep. My youngest, even if he falls asleep on time and sleep all night- it is neve DEEP sleep so it is still so tired! ut the Meletonin helps him ghet into that deep sleep cycle
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My oldest is medicated but very low dose. I feel that in addition to non-med treatments, his program is a big success. I have found that plenty of sleep, a healthy diet (very little sugar, plenty of omega 3s, very little to no artificial colors etc...), plenty of exercise, limited TV, a set routine and homeschooling help him so much.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 12:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Mine is medicated, but only a minimum to help him at school and I don't give it to him on the weekends. I also stick to a strict bedtime and keep him in sports for the exercise and socialization. Every child is different and responds to different things, what works for one may not work for others.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I thought you might find this interesting. www.sharethecause.com/hastily/Unseen-Killers.  because it speaks of children with this problem  If you want more info message me. I think diet and supplements do play a big role in maintaining and preventing so many things we are seeing today. 

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 1:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I watched part and though I agree with parts of it, I don't agree with all.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Fish oil tablets... it's amazing for the brain waves! Pretty much we have cut out a lot of preservatives (probably could cut out even more) and watched his sugar intake. My son hasn't been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, but his anxiety was a concern for us. He has gotten much better!
    cmy3kids

Answer by cmy3kids at 11:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2009