when others are doing well finanically...

I have seen some rude remarks on this site when people post about their lives and it is obvious they are doing well finanically. So my question is - why? Do you ever resent that someone else is doing well? If so why? Can people not be happy for someone else.... or is it jealousy.... or is it misplaced anger?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am doing crappy financially right now. But I don't get made at someone doing well. If someone is doing well that's a good sign for the economy. No reason to get mad at that.
    Anonymous

• I think it's misplaced anger. People get upset with themselves when they arent doing as well as they want to be and to see others succeed where they are failing or feel they are failing just makes them angry. I see it all the time. It's normal!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It depends...one of my good friends was basically given and all expenses trip to Hawaii, we are in the same boat financially and although I'm jealous, its not in a bad way and I'm really happy for her. On the other hand, I have a friend who has been b-ing and moaning about money forever, implying we are in the same boat, but I just found out that her stinking rich inlaws paid off her mortgage 4 years ago, gave them a car and they have no credit card debt, these inlaws also send them on vacation every year....what the EFF has she been complaining about all this time? That annoys me. She should shut her mouth and appreciate what she has, IMO.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Here you have to take it all with a pound of salt. Many moms on CM have high expectations, but lack skills for basic employment. It is difficult to watch people get ahead when week after week you work your butt off and never seem any better off. Moms will contact me and ask for links to legitimate jobs in Data Entry and Administration, but can’t spell either. (I don’t have the best grammar or spelling skills, I know those jobs are not for me.) Once those ladies realize they do not have the skills they tend to get sucked into scams. After awhile it feels like the world is against you and it becomes easier to whine, piss and moan then to go to Boarders and purchase 3rd grade language arts and spelling books. Or download iTunes and subscribe to Grammar Girl for free.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 1:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I think many people here are just tired of NOT knowing how to get ahead and are not as unwilling as they are too late to do something about it. If they had realized what they needed before they needed it they would not be where they are today and not be as cynical. Taking the high road isn't always easy. That's the road with all the tolls.
    Works4Mom.com

• on here, i havent seen anything like that.
    but in my everyday life, my husband is in the navy. and a while back there was this party and one of his "close" friends got into trouble for having underage sailors drinking at thier party, well he blamed it on my husband when it was no where near my husbands fault and my husband got demoted for it, not the prick. well, while him and his wife, who dont have kids are enjoying a couple grand a pay check, my husband and i with 2 kids are living from pay check to paycheck with not even 20 bucks left after paying bills.
    THAT, pisses me off. with them, i am not happy for them. heck no. i hope karma bites them in the ass.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 1:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• We are doing ok right now, but that is just because my hubby is military. We do live paycheck to paycheck, and he works his butt off for the money we do have while I work to keep our household running on the money we do get, but I do not get irritated with those who do have money. Good for them! If they aren't flaunting it blatantly like they are better than everyone else, there is no problem.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• We all come to this site with different backgrounds, education levels, career status, years of employment, etc. Sometimes it's hard to remember that the mom you might be talking to is not 22 like you, and not just starting out. She's in her 40s, has 20+ yrs of experience in her field, has worked her way up and can do for herself and her family. To try and compare or feel jealous is misplaced. Back when we were younger, we had to struggle and work hard to get by too! Now we have moved past that stage.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• well c'mon I would like to know works for mom .com .How much money do you make with your lovely stay at home job.I make my own jewlery and I am very proud of myself because in three days I have made $250.00 and I still have friday-sunday left and I can easily clear $350.00 easily.I buy my merchandise wholesale and sell my bracelts from $5.00 each and my sets jewlery neclace,braclet,and earrings for $25.00 a set.What I make takes talent I make my own jewlery braclets,neclace and my own earrings.What talent do you have? Usually I sell 10 braclets a day a day thats's $50..00 and on weekends especially friday I make $250..00 to three hundred a day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Mar. 20, 2009