How long does it take for a family to get approved for an adoption?

My mother is adopting my nephew. My brother and his wife have to give up parental rights and then my mother has to go through the state to adopt him even though he's been living with her for 4 years. How long should it take for this to go through?

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 12:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Adoption

• when I was loking to adopt my niece the courts told us it could take 6 months to a year, and that's if everything goes well. The courts don't like to take parental rights away and will probably make both parents do counseling to make sure this is really what they want and in the best interests of the child. Its a long and tedious process and lots of paperwork involved. GOod luck to her!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It depends on the state you live. Once parental rights are given, the timeframe should begin for post placement.
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 1:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It took us four months to get approved. Our children were born and came to live with us immediately after birth and it still took 14 months to terminate the parental rights and complete the adoption.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It took us about one week. We went to the organization, filled out our intial paperwork, took home the questions and filled them out, brought it back, two weeks later had the homestudy, and a few days later we were approved. It then took only one month to be matched and three months later our child was born and we brought the baby home.
    Anonymous