Booster Shots

Why do we find it so important to vaccinate our kids & give them booster shots, but as adults we never go & get them for ourselves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• This is one of the many issues I have with vaccinations. NONE of them are good for life. So we are not allowing our children to build a natural immunity to thes illnesses and then as adults our bodies have no immunity to them and we rarely are kept up on our adult vaccinations. Chickenpox for example, is a simple, yet annoying, illness for a child. - As an adult it's deadly. But the vaccinations are only good for up to 7 years. So even if you keep your child up to date their entire childhood they are mostlikely not going to keep up with them as an adult and are now in real danger of dieing from something that would have been a minor illness as a child...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I do not vaccinate at all... But I was as a child. When I was 15 I stuck a nail in my leg and since my mother had always been told that nails can cause tetenus she took me in for the shot. Before I could even walk out of the office I hit the floor and had I been home when it happened I would be dead today. As a child my inner ear was effected by them... Needless to say it's something I did ages of research on. And I wish more people would!

• No one that vaccinates their kids wants to comment?! !! ! !! !
    Anonymous

• thats a good question. I dont know why though.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I don't know, but maybe because our childs well-being is so much more important to us. In my case, my daughter has so many appointments, I don't have much time for my own. However, as long as I do everything possible to keep her healthy, I am happy. Our own needs seem to take a back-burner for our kids.
    khrystalsmommy

Answer by khrystalsmommy at 1:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I vaccinate and I think the reason most won't answer is because of the debate it causes. If my doctor wanted to vaccinated my now I would. I respect the decision not to vaccinate and hope people would also respect my decision to do it.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I just had a tetnaus booster and get one every 8-10 years. I had a measles booster at 18. I would rather get the tetnaus booster than lock jaw.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Because we love our kids more than ourselves ;) I get my shots though.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 1:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My kids are fully vaccinated and I get my boosters when they are needed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2009