Canned chicken!!

So there's this recipe I want to try but you have to use canned chicken and for some reason canned chicken freaks me out! I've never had it, it just seems like it's not real beacuse it's in a can, my question is: What does it taste like, and is there a way to get the same affects as canned chicken without actually using canned chicken?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My stepdad uses canned chicken in this pasta salad that he makes and its really good. Its real chicken. It kinda looks the way tuna does in a can.
    Anonymous

• Yes just put chicken breats in water and boil them til they are done and chop/shred it. Canned chicken is real, but a little stringy I think bu my mom uses it sometimes for chicken salad. Im not a huge fan, but its not that bad.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I sometimes use canned chicken to make chicken salad. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. It is very, very dry to me. If you take a chicken breast skin it and trim as much fat as possible off then drop it in some boiling water it should be done(depending on size in around 20 minutes...but check it closely for no pink. Let it cool chop and go. Canned chicken also is really a very small amount. It looks like it is the size of a tuna can but it is much less I think it is 4 oz or something.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I do use canned chicken a lot of the time ofr chicken salad. It is not quite the same as the fresh or frozen stuff but it is pretty good. Like the above poster said you could boil some shicken and shred it for the recipe that you have.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It is real chicken and tastes like chicken, I have used it instead of tuna in pasta salad.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I have some in the pantry for emergency but I am not that fond of it. why not use up some store bought rotisserie chicken? Or any cooked chicken will do.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 3:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2009