Ohio Food Stamps Controversy

A new Ohio food stamp rule allows anyone without income to qualify for food stamps. Commissioners in Warren County near Cincinnati said they want to go back to the old eligibility standards. They were angry after learning that a woman with $80,000 in the bank, a paid-off $311,000 home and a Mercedes qualified for $500 a month in food stamps after she lost her job. Commissioner Dave Young calls the new rule offensive.
Do you find the rule offensive and think it should change? Or do you think this is an extreme example and there may be people who have some savings and a home, but need food stamps temporarily?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I live in Ohio and am outraged. The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services made changes based on the federal government reccomendation in Oct 2008 on eligibility on income and not savings/equity...
    http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/03/19/PRIVATE_stamps.ART_ART_03-19-09_A1_QPD9K8V.html?sid=101
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• while I do not think whether you have a home paid off or not should have anything to do with food stamps, I think that with that much in savings that no they should not qualify for food stamps.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 12:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I would happen to agree that if someone had lost there job and had a home paid off and has 80,000 in savings do not need to have food stamps... that money is more then enough to get them by until they find another job... plus im sure she can get unemployment.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• The house shouldn't matter, the savings should. Lots of people are lucky enough to have homes they inherited, but that doesn't mean they have the income to pay rent or a mortgage. The savings, on the other hand, is liquid and readily available.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I'm conflicted on this one. Sure, she probably doesn't NEED the foodstamps as much as someone else. But the reason she doesn't NEED them is because she made good financial decisions - like SAVING her money. Should she punished and made to deplete her savings, when if she has been irresponsible and used her savings for elaborate trips and lots of clothing before she lost her job nobody would mind her getting foodstamps.

It seems that people are so often punished for making good choices. But on the other hand, the reason you make good choices is so you're able to support yourself. So I can't make up my mind.
    Anonymous

• The house shouldn't matter at all, I think the savings and maybe expensive car should. Yes a person needs a vehicle, but if you were that hard up you should at least sell it and get a more reasonable car. Then see how far the savings takes you before applying for assistance. We've used up all our savings but we still haven't applied for FS. I'm not going to either. It's tax season now so my dh will make too much anyway. But by the time fall rolls around if things don't improve for us we would probably qualify. I wouldn't apply for it though, unless I was desperate. Some people have no class or shame. That woman really had a lot of nerve applying for something she really didn't need.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Usually your dwelling doesn't count towards a thing if it's paid off.If you have mortgage payments it can help some.Of course I am not sure if that's how it has been in Ohio.Now whatever you have in checking or savings deffinitely counts.I would say with 80 grand at her disposel she isn't in any need of FS at this time.Who would even think she is geez
    Anonymous

• In minnesota she would not have gotten a dime. They are very strict here. Personally the house should not matter but whats in savings does and she shouldn't get it.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• This ticks me off. My uncle, who has Downs Syndrome and is a severe case, just received a letter from health and human services. He can't even read the letter! My Grandma had to go to a lawyer and get guardianship of him, he is 50 years old. He qualified for food stamps! $14.00 a month!
    How can someone who is severly disabled receive $14.00 a month, and this lady is getting $500.00??
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Oh wow tracy that is sad.Even us "heartless" conservatives have no issue with helping out people in your uncles shoes.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2009