my son is 5 months he doesn't want to lie on tummy just on his back help me is my son lazy lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son rolled over from back to tummy for the first time at 5 months, and then he spent the next 3 months purposely not doing it (he'd get up on his side and balance himself with his leg, and if he felt himself going too far forward he'd fling his arm out to put himself back on his back). He was never a tummy baby. And yes, he's very lazy, lol. He started rolling around at 8 months, didn't start crawling until 11 months, and walking at 14 months. Keep in mind that he still does need tummy time to build his upper body muscles, but lying on you is just as good as lying on the floor, and spending some time in an exersaucer will help his neck muscles.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• lol...Lazy? no... It is what is comfortable to him. Its hard for them to hold there head up, frustrating and tiring, After making doubly sure with your Ped. that nothing is wrong, You should try to introduce different things while he is on his tummy to keep him distracted, Try short periods of time and gradually increase. if he is crying don't give in right away, continue to try different things, Find something that he really likes to see or hear and only introduce that while he is on his tummy, He will start waiting for the tummy time, just for that. If you havent already try tummy mats with mirrors, on the bottom, So he can see himself, babies love that, or whatever it is that works for him.
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Try laying on your back somewhere comfortable for you and then put him on his belly on your belly. This may help him get more comfortable in that position. Plus he gets to be close to yo u so he may be happy this way. As he gets used to that you may try laying on your belly next to him or in front of him on his belly.
    beautyoperator

Answer by beautyoperator at 1:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• what if you lay him on your chest belly to belly or put him on his tummy on the floor and lay infront of him so he has to lift his head to see you or so he can see fun toys he might not be lazy he just might be board and a little scared he can't see you his head is heavy and it's weird from him to lay like that because he is used to being on his back I co slept with my children and we slept belly to belly but my oldest didn't like tummy time because I would put her down and walk away to do a load of laundry or something
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 1:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Oh good lord Maybe he likes the view of being able to see more from his back. It is hard for babies to lift their heads up from on their stomach. It's a no brainer. When he can get up on his hands and knees he will get plenty of exercise
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Babies need tummy time. Even if he hates it, give him a few minutes here and tehre throughout the day. How about laying him on his tummy on YOUR tummy so he can look down at you? He really needs tummy time for neck and upper body development among other things. Good luck!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 2:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2009