Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I revoke rights from a father who is willing to sign off on them?

I have talked to my daughters'

Answer Question

Asked by khrystalsmommy at 1:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Petition your family court.


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • You need to get a lawyer to make sure everything is properly taken care of and that he cannot change his mind. If he doesn't want anything to do with her do it now before he has time to come in and out of her life and confuse her. I feel for you and hope everything works out well.

    Answer by mommymandaleigh at 1:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • I don't have an answer,but how sad,sorry to hear this ,but good luck to you and your daughter.

    Answer by Val504 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • I don't know your court, but in our state, the court will NOT agree to this no matter how much both parties ask for it - already tried it with my son's father. The court will not "bastardize" a child, which is what you are essentially asking for. The only way the court will agree to this is IF you have a husband willing to take on the financial responsiblity for the child - i.e. adopt as his own. Without a father to take over the bio-father's role, the court will not allow a father to legally walk away from his own child - he will be held responsible for the life he helped bring into the world, whether he wants to or not. Talk to an attorney, but doubt they will say anything different.

    Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • I agree about the lawyer. It will be worth every penny. If he has no regard for his daughter, he doesn't deserve to be part of her life. And even if things are a little tight without child support, you and your daughter will be better off in the long run!

    Answer by cherlygirlie at 1:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • Wow, I didn't expect to get feedback so fast. Thank you all for that. My daughter does have a daddy in her life. He has been there for her since she was born. She had serious complications at birth, and spent her first three months in NICU, with both of us by her side. However, we are not married. We plan to be someday, but don't have the finances now, could he still adopt her?

    Answer by khrystalsmommy at 1:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • You have to go to court, get an attorney and a lot of good luck. My ex wanted to sign his rights away and the judge denied it because there was no one to adopt my son and be a father. Also, then my son wouldn't have the right to inherit. I asked "inherit what?" The judge had the nerve to say a bad father was better than no father. Seriously? That was in 2001 and my son has seen his father once since then and hasn't seen him in the last 5 years.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • go to court. My crappy ex went behind my back and went to court to give up all rights. That was a surprise lol but hey they're better off.

    Answer by pagirl71 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.