What kind of food do you expect when going to a wedding?

I am getting married in June and planning on making the food ourselves. It will be a pretty casual wedding, possibly outside (don't even get me started about not knowing the location now, 3 months before the wedding!!). The wedding will be at 7 pm, so reception around 7:30-8. I am thinking either we skip dinner and do hor d'ouerves(sp?) (fruit tray, cheese & crackers, maybe some meatballs, veggies & dip, etc.) or we do a dinner but not offer a ton of options (baked ziti, salad & garlic bread, maybe?) Most people like baked ziti right? Or would it be better to have more options? Or should we just skip dinner since it will be so late? There are no concerns about vegetarians or major allergies, I'm pretty sure.

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had an afternoon wedding so it fell between lunch and dinner. I put on the RSVP reception to follow (at the same place) hor'sdouevres will be served. (sorry, can't spell it)--- but honestly after doing manymany price checks we found that a full dinner from KFC was actually cheaper than the catering for the fingery foods... no one noticed or complained that we went from hors d stuff to a chicken meal, we had one vegetarian, she loves mashed potatoes and cole slaw so we were good. (about $$$550 for 100 guests) just make sure you go through the line first- cole slaw was gone by the time we ate... sigh...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I think at an evening wedding, hors d'oeuvres is fine, just phrase the invitation so that they know to expect that and will eat dinner first.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• i go off the style and wording of the wedding/reception invitation....i've been to VERY formal 3 course meal ordeals, and i've been to wedding with "peanut butter and jelly bars" (dont ask). LOL both were great. You just want your theme to be consistent. If you know there are no major allergies or food requirements, and its a late wedding, hors d'oeuvres should be just fine, i'd just write that somewhere on the invitation. there are great ways on theknot.com on how to word it properly. congratulations by the way!
    asherraifsmom

Answer by asherraifsmom at 2:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My wedding was pretty formal (my husband's wishes), but we did it early in the day, so we had a cocktail wedding - it was all hors d'eouvres. There was a cheese tray, crudites and other simple finger foods. It worked out very well and I think it was nicer than sitting down to a full meal.
    cherlygirlie

Answer by cherlygirlie at 1:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• We did hor d' oeuvres. Our wedding was outside and it was definitely not formal.

Why not do some kabobs? Chicken only. It's cheap, easy to make, and yummy! We had fruit and veggies as well as the kabobs! We had the wedding cake for dessert haha :)

If you do just finger foods/ hor d'oeuvres type food then put that in the invite so people will eat before hand!

I don't expect a big meal at a wedding unless it's on the invite (please choose chicken or fish type things lol). :)

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• On the reception invitation, list that you will be serving something light, and then offer a fruit tray and finger sandwiches. I mean, I have always eaten dinner before 7 in most cases, and if you are having children there, they will most likely have been fed beforehand too. Either way, I would only do one meal and list that on the invitation or do the h'or dourves and list that. You could easily put "h'or dourves will be served" or "Dinner will be baked ziti with garlic bread and side salad." That way if people won't like what you are serving, they can eat beforehand. A small casual wedding doesn't need more than one meal option, IMO.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I think hors d'oeuvres and cocktails, if you're having alcohol, would be fine. Much cheaper too. Just be sure to state it on the invitation!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• If you're going to do dinner, maybe offer another option-- something that most people like, like chicken. I see nothing wrong with doing finger foods, though. I would just put it on the invitation that "hor dourves will be served" or something along those lines, that way people don't skip dinner & expect a big meal. My wedding was at 4pm, so we just did finger foods.... fruit trays, chocolate fountain, finger sandwiches, veggie trays, etc.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 1:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It's a late wedding. I think hor d' ouerves would be fine. Just mention that ahead of time to your guest so they don't come starving. Of course I think way too much money is spent on weddings anyway.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 1:07 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Have the dinner and you don't have to go out out on sides and appetizers but have some. I would really check into a hall or a caterer for outside because for what you pay to do it yourself is probably about the same or less depending on your wants and needs.

Anonymous