A cough that won't go away.

Back at the beginning of january, My 20 month old daughter got what I thought was a cold, then this horrible cough only at night, it kept her awake all night long, a week later I got it, It was miserable pain. The doc said it was a cold, then an infection in the chest and when antibiotics didn't work she said RSV to let it pass... It is now mid march, and my daughter and I still cough throughout the night and bad first thing in the morning, there is mucus in our chest,there is no pain and it is mild now only a couple coughs a night but its aggravating and nothing makes it better. has anyone dealt with this?
Are there any home remedies that really work for soothing the cough

Mommyxtwo777

Asked by Mommyxtwo777 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Health

• If there is mucus in her chest, ask the doctor if you can give her guaifenesin, it's just plain old Robbitussin. Guaifenesin breaks up the mucus and thins it out. It will loosen the cough in her chest and hopefully she can get the mucus out by either coughing and spitting it, or swallowing it to be digested. But ask you doc first.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I agree with the PP also Mucinex helps also.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I have had the same issue with my 28 month old and give her childrens mucinex and finally she was able to sleep.
    Carry313

Answer by Carry313 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Oddly enough, we have had terrific luck spreading Vicks on the bottom of the feet during the night. I have no idea why this seems to help, but it does.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Something else that might help is a humidifier in her room.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My son is 6 and having the same thing but it seems to go away. Then he goes back to school and it's back. They gave him a prescription for claritin like the syrup and u can only take it once in a 24hr period and not more than once. It sucks like that but it really worked. It also is like only at night and in the morning he coughs. Its been like this for months
    Anonymous

• I POSTED THIS QUESTION: I just wanted to add, I appreciate all the responses and heres the problem, I have tried most of that, The vicks on the feet, i heard about that when she was itty bitty, that usually helps (not this time) or on the chest, or the little flowing vapors things, Clariti, musinex, tylenol cold and cough, robitussin, the doc and I have tried everything, Like i said I have it too... And nothing is working for me either, I try more on myself than on her, It's not keeping her up, I just feel terrible for her. I have tried warm liquids at night, steam from the shower, humidifiers, Vaporizers, Vaporizers with meds I mean anything I could think of, EVEN a little spoon of honey, that usually works for me, not this time, Ill be fine all day, lay down and there is that damn cough again....
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2009