ok, my son is 10 months old and is in daycare; my mom picked him up for me the other day and one of his teachers told her that he was screaming, crying, and shaking for about 1 hour and nothing either one of the teachers tried would comfort him...this infuriated me so I called the daycare and spoke with the director about it and she said that she was going to talk to the two teachers to see what happened and then get back with me......what would you other mothers do in this situation?

jaydenjsmom

Asked by jaydenjsmom at 1:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why are you infuriated, because they didn't call you? I don't think I'd be that upset.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I would ask them to call me right away if he was uncontrollable. I am blessed to be able to be home with my kids. Can you cut back your hours?
    Anonymous

• nothing really your baby doesnt like daycare they should have called you and said look your baby wont calm down but theres really notthing that age sucks because they cant talk you can either try leaving him with a relative or just see how it goes in other days and have the teachers call you when this is happenening
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 1:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I'd try and find out what the problem was and if he does it all the time. I'm sure it was nothing shady or they would not have told anyone. IF he doesn't like being away from you there is nothing they can do about it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• the thing is...he has been going there since her was 3 months old so he should be used to it....
    jaydenjsmom

Answer by jaydenjsmom at 1:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• How long has he been going to that daycare. I used to work at a daycare. We had one little boy who cried for the first few weeks he was there. There was nothing we could do to calm him down, we tried everything. I dont think we ever called his mom at work, it wasnt like there was anything she could do. We did tell her about it when she came to pick him up though. Maybe they assumed you would not be able to leave work. I would wait and see what his teachers have to say about it. It may not have been as bad as the one said. If you want to be called when your child cries let them know. Have a meeting with the director and his teachers and have that info put in your file. Most parents don't want to be called because they can't do anything about it. If you feel like he is unhappy at that daycare you can always look for another one, but if it was a one time thing I wouldnt be that worried about it.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Not too much they can do. If he calmed down after a while, then OK. If he had continued longer then they should have called. kids so weird things, they can't call every parent every day over every little thing. When you go in tomorrow, talk to the teachers that were there for it. sometimes the story gets exaggerated when passed to another teacher.
    Anonymous

• ... think about it this way. if you where home with him and he started crying what would you have done? Tried to consol him. try different things to calm him, wonder why he's crying and move on once he stopped but watch to see if he did it again. Sounds about like what the day care did.
    Anonymous

• I don't understand why you're infuriated. They tried to comfort him, they did their best. Yes, I imagine you might have had different tricks that would have worked...but they did what they could.

They didn't leave him crying in the crib and ignore him. He did eventually calm down.

I'm not getting why you're so upset with them.
    Anonymous

• I don't understand why you are upset. If they tried to comfort him and he was still screaming,what else did you expect? If they called every parent every time a kid was upset then it would be overkill. I personally would tell the teachers thank you for trying...that must have been tough on them
    Anonymous