looking for some advice on how to deal with children with ADD/ADHD.... I have young boys and could use all the help I can get... Thanks

hope-for-2

Asked by hope-for-2 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you already have a diagnosis? The doctor who gave the diagnosis should be able to give you references for groups and support in your area.

Each case is so individualized...

Have you tried behavior modification? I had luck with my younger kids, but not my ADHD kid, but he also has PDD-NOS, so.....we stepped up to behavior management but that's been kind of a bust so far, too.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My son is 7 1/2 and he has A.D.D/A.D.H.D and the doctor put him on STRATTARA 18mg because for one it is not a stimulant{meaning addicting}, I didnt want my son to be a zombie and he isnt. There is one side affect tho at first and that is abdominal pain at first, I give my son his pill at 8 p.m on the dot and then I give him a snack befor bed,usually popcorn or sometimes a sandwich, it was not an easy decision to put my son on any med but it does help him focus and pay more attention in school and at home. So I hope this helps.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2009