How do I move on?

My oldest is moving accross country soon. He is such a wonderful person and of course I miss him already. If there is anyone that can help me deal with the pain of feeling like I am loosing my son help me out. I have a younger child that is here and I need to keep it together for him. Help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• My oldest son is 22 and is in the Army & my 21yo son lives in TX. I find that talking to them a few times a week and texting them helps. I also have them on my MySpace and Facebook friends. My oldest left for college when he was 18, joined the Army at 19 and left for basic a month after he turned 19 so I have had a few years with him being out of the house. The hardest part was when he was in Iraq for 15 mos. because we couldn't talk much (maybe 15 times in 15 mos., if that) and IM'ing, texting and even emailing was impossible and he never got online to his MySpace then. It makes him being in another state a walk in the park. Just call him and text him as much as you can and it'll help.
    Anonymous

• Maybe right him letters, and pray for him,call him once a week.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• He is only moving and will be back to visit. Be confident in the fact that you have raised a healthy, caring, independent boy that will be back to visit. And focus on raising you younger son the same way. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Ok my best advice is like the other ppl said on here to write and call him 1x a week but my DH parents call every damn day! they used to be worse and if he didnt return their call they would blow up our phones and freak out! please dont overdo it and blow up his phone! especially if he has a gf or a wife someday cuz its sooo annoying! especially if u dont have anything important to talk about... this coming from a wife's perspective...
    jessicalove26

Answer by jessicalove26 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• You don't "move on". He's your son and he's starting a new chapter in his life, and so are you, it doesn't mean that you have to close the book! You just make sure that you have great communication with him, and quality visits, but DO NOT SMOTHER HIM WITH CALLS AND VISITS! Seriously, he'll get annoyed, regardless of how much he misses you and loves you.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 3:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• NOW IS TIME TO ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YOUR LABOR! YOU DID A GREAT JOB, YOU SENT A WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING OUT INTO THE WORLD, BE PROUD OF YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENT AND DO IT AGAIN FOR YOUR NEXT CHILD!
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Even though he might seem ecstatic that he's moving and gonna live in the other side of the country...he will miss you so very much. So dont feel bad... this is how life is...you raiseyour children and then you see them go and see how they do on their own.. you've done ur job. Congrats!! Just enjoy him while he's there with u... and he'll come visit. Dont move on just try coping with the change. It's hard. I know. I'm not that far way from my parents... only 600 miles ... but we still only see eachother 3 times a year.. it sucks! but this is my life now.. i have my own little family now and this is how god wanted it. Take care and good luck with this!
    firstXmomTX

Answer by firstXmomTX at 7:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I was so happy for mine to get the opportunity to get out in life and see what life offers. I'm just not understanding how you can be so down trodden over him going out to find his fate. I just think it's a celebration not something to be dreaded. So I guess I can't help you on this one. Geez with your subject line I had thought he died.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:28 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Cry it out and be the good side of you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I want to thank everyone for their answers. I even needed to hear admckenzie tell me to snap out of it and I should be happy for him. I needed to hear how to keep in touch and not interfer with his new life. But he is only 18 so I will probably keep in touch with him more than just once a week. But every bit of advice is so appreciated. Thanks Mckenzie for reminding me that he is not dead and I should be happy for him.
    Anonymous